Featured Antique or Vintage Oriental Scroll Art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jerry Coker, May 17, 2022.

1. Jerry Coker

Jerry Coker Active Member

Hello, are there any scroll art experts here? We recently had the opportunity to view and photograph this item and it has us puzzled as to authenticity/origin/type. Some photos are attached. My 1st thought was some sort of Tibetan thangka, but it measures approx. 23" in length, which apparently is larger than most thangaka's. It appears to be a painting on some sort of fiber/threaded material. It may have been part of a collection of vintage Chinese silk scroll art, so it may not be Tibetan. It is rolled, and has some condition issues, like paint peeling off. The back has some marks that I've been trying to decipher, with no luck so far. If anyone has any suggestions to what it may be, or pointers to any antique scroll like art online resources, please feel free to enlighten us. It may not be scroll art as there is no wood rod for rolling, and it may not be antique, but it sure has a antique looking patina. Unfortunately we are not very knowledgably about art. Thank you. 20220517_162101front.jpg 20220517_162101front.jpg 20220517_162121front2.jpg 20220517_162222closeup.jpg 20220517_162249backlabel.jpg 20220517_162304backmarks.jpg 20220517_162346back.jpg 20220517_162408backmarks2.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Jerry. From what you say I think it isn't yours?
    Your first thought was correct, it is an antique Tibetan thangka. Thangkas can be any size, and this one is a pretty standard size for an antique thangka, maybe even on the smallish side.
    It is a thangka without the brocade surround and protective curtain, which isn't a problem imo. It has condition issues, which is to be expected.
    It represents Milarepa, an 11th century Tibetan monk/practicioner of magic, who is the most popular saint of Tibet.
    The marks on the back are Tibetan script.

Figtree3, 2manybooks, Born2it and 4 others like this.
  3. Jerry Coker

Thank you for the reply. Correct, it is not mine. I should be able to provide more details in a few days. Any idea how I might determine the age? For instance, a couple centuries? Thanks again for the info., I will further research your findings.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think you would need to take it to an expert for that. The iconography is rather strict, which means there is hardly any change in style.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. Jerry Coker

OK, thank you. I hope to be able to see the item again in a couple days.

6. Jerry Coker

Hello, JFYI, we went back to the dealer today to look at the thangka again, but unfortunately they said they've already found a buyer. Pretty disappointed but it's probably for the best as we weren't exactly sure what to offer, not knowing the exact age, provenance, etc. My wife was particularly interested in it. It did have some condition issues though. Anyway, thank you Any Jewelry for the info. We always enjoy learning about and researching old things. Neither one of us had ever heard of thangka's. Learn something new every day :happy:

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted