Antique Painting Identification

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jackthejunker, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Jackthejunker

Jackthejunker New Member

Hello everyone,

I am interested in this antique painting that is for auction and I was wondering if y'all could help me learn more about it? I am a teen collector and collect all kinds of things but I am new at Oil Paintings. It appears to be victorian but I'm not sure if it is. The paintings dimensions are 48 x 34 inches. I am not able to see the piece because it is at an local online auction. It doesn't say the piece is signed but I'm wondering what its worth, how old it is, and all the history behind the piece anything helps!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Full Image when posting photographs, Jack. Makes it easier for everyone to see. Make sure you're posting the entire work including frame. And please also always post a photograph of the entire back along with good quality close-ups of any labels, stickers or handwritten notations. Otherwise, you'll get nagged. ;)

That looks familiar. Sargent, perhaps. Have you done a Google Image search?

Debora

Screenshot_20210124-174246.png

3. Jackthejunker

Jackthejunker New Member

I am not able to see the Oil Painting in person sadly! It's an Online Auction I have one other photo of the piece and I will update it to post along with dimensions. Thank you!

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies. I didn't read your previous post carefully enough. Let's start at the beginning. What does the auction house say about it? And why do you find it of interest?

Debora

5. Jackthejunker

Jackthejunker New Member

The auction house gives bare minimum details just says oil on canvas and the dimensions. I like it because zi love Victorian antiques and have a lot of them. I'm just not sure if the piece is really old.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm thinking copy of John Singer Sargent portrait but can't come up with an original. Something similar to this.

Debora

800px-Edinburgh_NGS_Singer_Sargent_Lady_Agnew.jpg

Jackthejunker and smallaxe like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Found it! (And not a very good copy.) 'Mrs. Carl Meyer and her Children.' 1896. There are lots of late Victorian paintings around and most are not terribly expensive. Unless you love the frame...

Debora

TATE_TATE_T12988_10-001.jpg

8. Jackthejunker

Jackthejunker New Member

Thank you so much! Do you know a general time frame of when they did this fake is it a old fake? I may still get it if it goes for cheap enough! Many thanks!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's no way of telling although, if you had it in hand, the canvas might offer clues. The frame looks a bit later to me (into the early 20th century) but I may be wrong.

Debora

Jackthejunker likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

stay away from it and concentrate on things you know...while taking the time to learn about things you like.........

imo........;):rolleyes:

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, I think that's good advice. In general. For everyone.

Debora

johnnycb09 and Jackthejunker like this.
  12. komokwa

more so for younger folks.....

Jackthejunker likes this.
  13. Jackthejunker

Jackthejunker New Member

My generation is so embarrassing! I have been told by many that I'm a 90 year old in a 16 year olds body.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. komokwa

good 4U !!!
    tell em...with that wisdom...you'll be making far less...punk mistakes in your life !!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and Jackthejunker like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Jack, of all the areas of collecting, art is one of the most tricky. But a general rule is... Avoid copies. They are always inferior to the original. And they have no resale value. If you find you love, love, love a work, then save up and buy the original!

Debora

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It warms my heart for someone your age to care about antiques at all. Ive got scads of nieces and nephews and nary a one of them could care less. Except one niece,and thats because she likes to sell the stuff I give her to make money ! Its a wonderful hobby and know that no matter how much you learn,youll never know enough ! :)

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jack. Good to see you here, I also started collecting at an early age, and it has given me much happiness over the years. It has also helped increase my understanding of history and cultures.

Any questions, please ask. And do browse the forums, there is so much beauty and knowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted