Featured Antique photo - can anyone identify the mystery object?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I picked this item up this morning - the photo measures about 11 x 9cm and is on glass. It is beautifully framed and protected by another glass layer, on the back of which has been painted a white surround embellished with gilt and tiny flower decorations. I have carefully taken it apart to scan etc, but there are no identifying marks that I can see.

I'm particularly intrigued by the wooden object on the table. Some kind of early telegraph/telephone machine? Or something far less glamorous? It's a pity the object is blurred, although I still wouldn't know what it was even in sharp focus!

Any help appreciated!

photo2061 copy.jpg

IMG_3831.JPG IMG_3830.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Don't know what that is for sure but it's intriguing.
    I don't see a cord though it could behind.
    Makes me think it's a transformer to demonstrate an arc across the poles but...

Batman_2000 likes this.
  3. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Two things come to mind. Maybe an ink stand with a storage area below, or an EARLY steropticon or viewer of some sort.

Bear in mind both are WAGs.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

First contestants to the Newlywed show.:joyful:

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Could be a buzzer with knobs to slap for the game show> Kiss My Victoria.
    :)

Batman_2000 likes this.
  6. Batman_2000

Thank you all! I think you got it... a stereopticon/stereoscope as suggested by 42Skeezix :). Check out this page: http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_V47.html . They look like the Brewster Pattern lenses.

My next question... daguerreotype or ambrotype? I'm leaning towards ambro.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If it is printed on glass it is an ambrotype. The kind of ambrotype with the "white surround" has a specific name but I can't recall what it is. Maybe not important at the moment.

EDITED: I just looked at your photos and I think the white surround you are referring to is different from what I was thinking. Yours is a decorative border that does really enhance the attractiveness of the framing. Beautiful!

8. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The viewer is circa 1856...the photo must be pre Civil War. (US)

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

They are both attractive, but himself is Hollywood Handsome. Note cleft in chin!

10. Batman_2000

Thanks Fig, it's definitely on glass, so ambrotype it is...

42Skeezix, I had 1850s in my head when I saw it, so the additional dating of the viewer is a real bonus! Thanks!

silverthwait, I agree, he does have a certain je ne sais quoi!

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the way the jewelry is tinted.....so everyone can see he buys her a lot of gold.

I think he's blushing about it too !:hilarious:

KingofThings and Batman_2000 like this.
  12. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

That's not a cleft in his chin - that's just part of his beard I think.
    While one would not have to "bag his face" I don't find him all that attractive. :)
    Does have a really nice brow though.

13. Batman_2000

I imagine someone needed a steady hand to paint all that gilt! It's really quite finely done.

KingofThings and Messilane like this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

What a fascinating image! He looks like he has a faux hawk, LOL! His hair is all smoothed down and over, until it isn't (on his left side). Then the Eddie Munster widow's peak. What's going on with the tilted table? I thought maybe they were in a ship.

15. Batman_2000

Eddie Munster... :D:D:D!

So. I straightened the photo and roughly cloned out the corners (too distracting) - what do you think? A tipsy photographer? ;)

photo2061 copy_edited-1.jpg

16. Batman_2000

By the way, I've hung the photo on the wall but the family are complaining it's creepy...

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  17. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

This was a really fun (and pretty) find!
    I am tempted to take that image to a Paint document and give them makeovers.

18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Obviously wealthy, and a lot of personality in their faces for that time. Trim his hair and beard he'd look 100 times better !

19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Her hair style is definitely 1860s. All she needs is some eye brows, lashes and a bigger chest ornament.
    Gila go at them, make them more Mexican.:eek:
    greg

20. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Excellent idea, Greggsie! I'll get some tattoos on him and some Cholla makeup on her! We'll make a nice soul patch out of that beard, too. Some nice gangsta chains on both of 'em and... Vato y vata! (Dude and dudette)

Draft saved Draft deleted