Antique plate. Chinese or Japanese? How old?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by chantaljones, Feb 7, 2020.

1. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Got this plate which I want to check out.

Fairly big piece approx 37cm - 14 1/2 inch

Is it Chinese or Japanese.

Maybe any ideas on how old it is?

It looks like its good quality painted with a lot of lines in geometric shapes.

20200131_204750.jpg
    20200131_204853.jpg
    20200131_204844.jpg

20200131_204802.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't help on the plate, but I 'think' most members will suggest getting that metal off the plate.....it will eventually cause chips, which I'm sure you DON'T want!!!:happy:

Christmasjoy and chantaljones like this.
  3. norman warbreck

norman warbreck Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Your plate is Japanese. How do u tell from Japanese versus Chinese. ?
    Japanese porcelain has spur marks...and a blue circle on the inner rim.
    The picture on the front looks like a print and the reverse is hand-painted.
    A close up picture of a small section of the front...could show whether it is printed or not. Pretty sure its printed...but still a very nice plate !

4. chantaljones

Hi Norman. That is some good advice. I like it when members also learns you new things.

I'm pretty sure that this is hand painted. That is the reason I kept it because of the skills involved in this. Also because of its unusual size, you can see a pen in the picture below for comparisons. I have attached some pictures

You can not see any pixels or etching design. The whole design is done by hand with single small stripes not longer than 12mm orso which is very impressive. None of the stripes are the same, thicker to thinner stripes which you would see in live ink if the tip of the brush starts to dry out. Also none of the design is mirrored. Looks all hand done by me.

Can you maybe tell me more about it after you seen this pictures?
    You can use the buttons ctrl on you keyboard and the scroll on your mouse to zoom into the pictures.
    20200207_221520.jpg
    20200207_214647.jpg 20200207_214637.jpg 20200207_214653.jpg 20200207_214722.jpg 20200207_214729.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. chantaljones

That would make sense. I thought I keep it on there in case I will sell it so that it shows its provenance, age and what it was used for old. I would maybe remove it if it turns out to be a valuable piece :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Norman Warbreck is right this is a stencil printed decoration, that is why you cannot see any "pixels". It dates to the Meiji period.

7. norman warbreck

Ok those pictures tell a different story. Looks hand-painted and very detailed.
    I would hazard a wild guess at 1890/1900.....and remove those wires as they help in fracturing the glaze and may also cause chips. Best method....turn it on its back and with a good long nose pliers clip the wire. Try not to move the wire too much but when cut it will fall away.
    Here is a valuable link....they are very helpful...but please take note they will not give values but certainly help with a date and possible studio.
    Try them and let me know.
    https://www.gotheborg.com/

judy, Christmasjoy and chantaljones like this.
  8. norman warbreck

Ok taken a second look and not that sure about handpainted....but very well done.
    I cannot zoom into your pics.

judy, Christmasjoy and chantaljones like this.
  9. chantaljones

thank you guys. I do know the difference between stencil prints and such. I also know how these are made. In this case I'm still pretty sure that its hand painted. Maybe I should hear from more members their opinion on this. No offend

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Stencil, Japanese, a bit later than 1900 imo

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another vote for stencil.;)
    Very Japanese in design and that specific blue colour too.

Draft saved Draft deleted