Featured Antique Porcelain Lamp Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shrrdkn, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Shrrdkn

Shrrdkn Member

Hello!

Here goes my first (help post) out of hundreds more to come ;)

I bought this beautiful antique lamp at a garage sale a couple months ago. The lamp was without the shade, just as seen in the images. I tried to capture the best images of each side of the hand painted images as I could. As you can see in the images, the electrical cord is indeed very antique, so for me, that was a great start at identifying this piece as being pretty old. I unscrewed the lamp in search of any marks and found a stamped mark that states, Shanghai China. I have looked all over the web for more info regarding the exact age of this piece with no luck at all. Have not had any luck in finding anything similiar either. Any help of an aproximate age of this lamp would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance! Did I insert the images correctly? 7247DCFD-B89D-4121-A437-8253152CD692.jpeg 4024D468-6E67-4855-A0DF-571E7FE84DB8.jpeg 991B4D5F-05D7-4197-8C28-C270DA17219D.jpeg 1818457B-C2A6-4C72-9BF5-452E00C7EA8C.jpeg 85708419-9C04-49C5-8298-E477BB746D2C.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Great job, Sherry! Can we get a look at the bottom of porcelain part and how it was attached to the metal base?

3. Bakersgma

BTW - The 8 figures painted on the lamp are the 8 "Immortals."

4. Shrrdkn

Shrrdkn Member

Hi Bakersgma! Thanks for the info. Very interesting! Here are the images of the bottom piece :) B0BB8183-CC99-4BC2-9BBE-198AD6974A07.jpeg CDDC19D5-3EC3-4B6E-87F2-7A30217BE793.jpeg

5. Bakersgma

Thanks. There's certainly no doubt where it came from! And it was definitely made as a lamp. So 20th century - say 1920s to start but to when I am unsure.

That electric cord has to go anyway, but someone here might be able to suggest a good date for use of that kind of cord and plug.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    judy, Any Jewelry, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  6. Shrrdkn

Shrrdkn Member

Yes, my first thought was it was probably made around the early 19th century. Just read about the image too, (Inmortals) very interesting indeed! Oh, and yes, the cord definitely has to go, just ordered a brand new one online.. Now, I just need a beautiful antique shade that fits it well! Thanks for all your help, very appreciated!

judy, scoutshouse and Bakersgma like this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

early 20th (1901-2000) century folks, not 19th.

judy, antidiem, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    lovely lamp!! They make silk covered electric cord so you can replace the wiring and use the lamp. Just use the old plug on the new wring. It will look original. I have most of my old lamps rewired with the silk covered wiring and old plugs.
    greg

ascot, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Sorry about that - I started to write early 1900s and then got sidetracked. I fixed it.

judy, scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Charming lamp, Sherry. Those faces make me smile.
    I can't find the mark, but have a sneaking suspicion it could be Republic Period, 1912-1949. So probably not antique, but Republic porcelain is becoming collectible.
    Our North American members can probably narrow it down by looking at the plug.

So glad we can call you Sherry, btw. Typing Shrrdkn means having to go back and check, did I get all the letters in, etc.
    The others call me AJ, so that's easy as well.
    They probably call me other things as well, but we won't go into that.:D

11. Shrrdkn

Shrrdkn Member

Thanks! Yes, it is quite a charming lamp! Well probably not antique, but I do think it is pretty rare...do to the fact that I can’t find the exact style of lamp anywhere online. I have had the lamp for a couple of months already and was always curious about the age, but at least now, I have a pretty good idea :)
    Oh, and yes! Shrrdkn was spelt correctly ;) Thanks again AJ!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted