Antique printing press - ID and help?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kelly Cormack, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Kelly Cormack

Kelly Cormack New Member

My business inherited these Kluge and Heidelberg printing presses, and we need to clear out the building. They are such cool pieces of engineering, but I'm having trouble finding out what they may be worth and don't know where to start in getting these moved out our doors. Does anyone here have a decent knowledge of printing equipment?
    kluge press 1.jpg kluge press 2.jpg heidelberg 1.jpg heidelberg 2.jpg bits n parts!.jpg baum pilefeeder 2.jpg Hi all,

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the only thing i can think of is donating it to a museum.........

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Or the big museum in the sky:blackeye:, the scrapyard @$1 a ton ..hopefully you won't have to pay more than that to get it hauled away ...Not saying that's a positive thing (scrapping), but just might be the reality ...:(

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

antidiem, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's likely all of these old presses can still work. Advertise across the country to sell them.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Kelly Cormack

Kelly Cormack New Member

You guys are so helpful! I've had a couple of people elsewhere mention that light... I never would have known!

8. Chuck Fairbanks

Chuck Fairbanks New Member

My grandfather owned a printing company, and as a teenager, I ran a 12x18 Kluge much like the one pictured. My grandpa bought it new in 1942. I'd guess yours is about the same age. Just poking around looking at others for sale, I'd say the Kluge is worth about $1,500. It looks to me like it would still run. The Heidelberg looks to be a 10x15 from the early '60s. If it still runs, it might be worth about $3,500. Just my $.02 worth.

antidiem and Fid like this.
  9. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

In Anacortes WA there's a print shop/museum run by a guy who specializes in short runs hand-set on vintage presses. I bet many cities have something similar, and some diligent advertising should come up with someone who would be interested. Good luck!

komokwa likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It certainly has a resale value beyond scrap. (And it would be a shame to scrap a quality machine that can no longer be replicated.) Don't know where you're located but the kind of thing a literacy center that teaches book arts would want to acquire (for instance.)

Debora

11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

There is an interesting documentary free on Amazon called "Pressing On - the Letterpress Film" about the people looking for, restoring and using these old presses. Worth checking out and may give some pointers on how to locate interested parties.

Debora likes this.
  12. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Also have some local shops (in PA) using these old presses for custom printing.

Below is a dealer that seems to sell them- could be someone to contact. Good Luck! -Joe

upload_2020-1-28_19-0-34.png

Attached Files:

komokwa and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted