Antique ring or maybe not?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Tal Fastman, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Tal Fastman

Tal Fastman New Member

Hello,
    I purchased this seemingly very old/antique ring in a second-hand shop in Jerusalem.
    The question is whether it is really old or not...
    How can I tell?
    Thank you! 8c1f9a1b--------.jpg 8c1f9a1b--------.jpg 8c1f9a1b--------.jpg 532f4f94------------.jpg

Attached Files:

dude likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Tal!

Welcome to Antiquers..........:cat:

No help here for ID though......but just wait a bit for the jewelry people to show up!!:)

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Wild guess here - those pits on the surface seem to indicate it's a copy made from a rather bad casting. You wouldn't see that in an original piece that has this much detail.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agree with Bev, looks to be silver, is it marked? Looks to have been cut down to be smaller?

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Bad casting from a wax model,the break on the bottom of ring shank is from someone trying to size it larger and broke it since the porosity weakens the ring.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The stippling on the inside means it was made after 1960-70. Someone may have to correct me on that, but it is not very old.

The triple tulip motifs on the sides symbolize the tree of life. You see this triple tulip motif from northern Europe all the way to India.
    I suspect the design on the ring face is also a tree of life design, but more stylized. The scrollwork around it is also pretty generic.
    So all in all it is pretty difficult to pin down the origin. Maybe you'll find a similar one with a reliable provenance some day.

Draft saved Draft deleted