Featured Antique rope bed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marietowns, Jan 29, 2023.

?

Sell or keep?

1. Sell/auction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Just paint it or donate it

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

Hello,

Im looking for any info on an old 3/4 bed that we have. We’re missing the rails, but it would have had threaded side rails that screwed into the head and footboard. My guess is it’s from the early 1800s, late 1700s? I could be way off so feel free to correct me! The wood is in great condition and 2 of the 4 casters are still old wood. It’s very cool, however we have a big move ahead of us. Sell or keep? I’d love any input. Thanks!

Attached Files:

NewEngland, judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think mid 19th century at best. Nice example. Value is way down now so probably keeping it if you can would be the best course of action. Have to hope someone in the family will have a use for it someday.

Born2it, NewEngland, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

put it to the curb......it'ss be gone in 2 shakes of a lambs tail...

NewEngland, judy, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  4. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

Thanks for the feedback! Would I completely destroy it if I painted over it and drilled to add useable rails?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not if you were going to give it...or find it...a good home !!

that wood is mighty strong and has gravitas enuf to hold a good paint job !!!

white, cream or high gloss black....would be my suggestions....

6. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I would say keep it and leave as is or refinish, not paint. It is a beautiful wood.
    Mikey

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

My mother has one similar. She has always called it a Jenny Lind bed. I see online that the ones with spool turnings are often called by that name.

[Edit]By the way, Jenny Lind was a famous Swedish opera singer in the 19th century. She died in 1887.

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I had to work with my 1920s spool bed to fit it to a metal frame, so I added the right 2 X 6s to the metal frame and then attached the front and back pieces to the 2 X 6s using the original hardware. Find a workaround that doesn't affect the integrity of the old piece. Try using some Howard's restore a finish. I might be easier than painting and will preserve the look of the wood. Once you paint old wood, it destroys the antique value.

9. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Was interested to read the replies to this, as I have an older, plainer one. Mine was given to me by my grandfather when I was graduating from a crib. (And steps by which to enter!) I slept in that, to me, wide bed, until I left home.

So did my daughter. Personally, I couldn't bear to paint it. :(

10. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Back again:

1) Mattresses for three-quarter beds are easy to get.

2) The side rails to mine went missing courtesy of some lackadaisical moving men. Solution: bed legs went up on risers (Bed, Bath, and Beyond), and my large trunk (which doubles as storage for linens and quilts) held the footboard to the bed.

:)

Born2it, Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

I made mine into a modern queen. You don't notice it because the quilt covers the edges.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Values are down for this kind of thing for sure, on the other hand shipping it and storing it at a new location creates some new costs/headaches. Is it a family piece or something you just picked up?

The wood on that is absolutely stunning, it's one of the nicest I've seen.

If the wood is in "great condition" as you stated, this is one piece I'd hesitate painting. Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

If I use this in a guest room, this was my
    Plan and just use bedding to cover the gaps. Did you go with a local carpenter to add the rails? Without good support, especially with casters, this is bound to fall on whoever sits or lays on it

14. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have one in birds-eye maple. My grandmother gave it to me when my daughter was born. She told me the auctioneer said it was from 1700's. i was actually going to post it here to get it dated. I am in the process of trying to date my better things to leave a record for my heirs. sorry the pictures are not great. 1850's house and lighting not great. Sorry yours does not have the side rails. bed 3.jpg bed1.jpg bed2.jpg

15. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

The wood is gorgeous. I think the flatter pieces are poplar maybe because of how plain, but these turnings are something much nicer. Walnut maybe? It’s in oddly great condition. I got it at an estate sale about 8 years ago. My plan was always to refurbish and try to find rails. But I haven’t found rails still and now that we’re moving cross country, I don’t know if it’s worth it, or if it fits the design scheme to keep it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

So similar :) I have an old family birds eye dresser I just refinished that I planned to use in the room with the bed.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't paint it. It will lose any value it has down the road. If you feel you must paint, send it off to someone who will appreciate it for what it is and find something a bit newer and tattier to paint. Modifying it for use will improve value since you do not have the original rails anyway.

18. KikoBlueEyes

Here's how mine looks without its original rails. I have them but I converted it to a modern queen size mattress.

IMG_9347.JPG

19. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

20. KikoBlueEyes

I have the matching dresser too. It was awful when I bought it. It was black with old, crackled varnish. Months of hand sanding.

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted