Antique secretary butlers desk info

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JBF, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JBF

JBF Member

Hello,
    Thank you again for assisting with previous furniture ID inquiries. Looking for input on this piece. Thanks in advance.
    Jbf

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Your Secretary does indeed look beautiful!! Can you tell us how/when/where you acquired it? Does it have a history to it? And, in the future, before actually posting, Please click the very TOP IMAGE that says INSERT EVERY IMAGE FULL SIZE when you have loaded all your images.....that way we can all see them full size without having to click on thumbnails!!! Thank you SO much!!! Tagging @verybrad & @James Conrad ! Forgot, could we also see the doors open and what the insides look like as well as the back? Thanks!

D0188B94-1A33-4558-B0EA-2EC1DDF44A8C.jpeg 7343D731-F0E6-4949-8963-E0FE3666BED9.jpeg 06CAE1C9-1AE7-47D4-86EF-A5C3FB9BD9F5.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are, JBF, but you've got a beautiful walnut fall front secretary with a bookcase above and storage below, looks like ca. 1860-1900, nice curly maple or satinwood drawer fronts and letter slot valences. Lovely patina.

Somewhat vernacular, but leaning towards Renaissance Revival. It may be missing a crest; if you feel holes for pegs at the top of the cornice then that would clue you in. Value would depend on where you are; in the U.S. midwest it may bring $1K or so.

I'd keep it.

5. JBF

JBF Member

Thanks for your input. There are no signs of any adornment atop the cornice. I’m in Southern California where appreciation for such antiques is minimal. I do intend to offer the piece right in line with your valuation.

judy likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add much more. Might pin this a bit closer to 1880, give or take. Valuation of 1K would be ambitious in my Midwest neck of the woods but might be OK for CA.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted