Antique Sewing Machine for Restoration

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by SaukEngines, Jan 31, 2021.

1. SaukEngines

SaukEngines New Member

Hello all, I'm an antique enthusiast. I like to restore various antiques, whatever happens to get my interest at the moment. Right now I'm finishing up my current project and I'm trying to line up my next. I've got it in my head to do a restoration on an antique sewing machine. I would prefer that it be complete, but I'm not picky about condition. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the rustier the better, something that will make a good before and after picture. So, if you're looking to sell what I've just described, please get in touch.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You might want to search close to home. The cost of shipping an antique sewing machine with/without base wouldn't be cheap.

Debora

3. SaukEngines

SaukEngines New Member

I'm not looking for the whole treadle table or anything like that, just the sewing machine. It could be hand, treadle, or even motor powered, I'm not too picky.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Plum

Plum New Member

Hi

Have you found a sewing machine to restore?

Plum

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they haven.t been back here in a while

7. SaukEngines

SaukEngines New Member

Hey there, I haven't found one yet, and am still looking if you have one.

judy likes this.
  8. Graham Forsdyke

Graham Forsdyke New Member

Bear in mind if you repaint one it will cease to have any interest or value to a collector. Be careful, some can fetch many thousands of dollars

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Plum

Plum New Member

I have my grandmothers peddle singer. All original and from what i was told it still works it just needs a belt

Born2it and judy like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Also bear in mind, just about the only old sewing machine with any true $$$/$$$$ value is one particular model: Singer 221 aka a featherweight.
    If you're restoring for sentimental reasons, that's one thing. If you're thinking of profit, you need a featherweight.

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

At one time we had two Singer 221's. My wife is keeping one, and we sold the one we got at a yard sale for $25.00. (we sold it about a year ago for $650) Worked like clockwork after we cleaned it up and lubricated it correctly. Both were fairly plain models, without all the fancy painting and scenes you see on some.

Aquitaine, bercrystal and bluumz like this.
  12. Graham Forsdyke

Err.....no.
    Singer 221 machines go for around $300 to $800. Over a million made and commonly found. Probably 20 on Ebay right now.
    Really collectable machines are much earlier and $10,000 - $15,000 is not unheard of.

Aquitaine likes this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Good to know, thanks.

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'd love to see some examples! :)

15. Graham Forsdyke

Born2it and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted