Featured Antique signet ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anyiquesbyjewels, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 20210223_162818.jpg 20210223_162837.jpg Hello there.

I'm not sure this is the correct place to post this ring.

Anyways I bought this in a second hand shop in Poland and always wanted to know more about it. Its 17g of 14ct or 18ct and looks hand engraved. Somebody told me that the swords look Scottish. Not sure its meant to be used as a wax seal or not.

Could anyone please share their opinions. Or where it might be from the period and which family

There are no hallmarks

The ring is unusually large

Kind regards

Tim

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a seal ring. Can you edit your post to show these as full images please?

3. Yes I will do it now

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's much better, thank you. The swords do resemble claymores, but I'm no expert on them. Might equally be Polish cavalry.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Thanks. Yes two swords crossed doesnt give too many clues. Maybe its not necessarily a ring for a specific family. Or maybe for a really important one haha. It definatley looks very old

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. I feel Regal when I wear it

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice ring. Could it be regiment related?
    Those are sabres, the Polish had them too. The basket hilts on Scottish broadswords are much more elaborate and hefty.

Polish cavalry sabre:

[​IMG]
    http://www.antiques.com/classified/...ry-Sword-Sabre-late-18th---early-19th-century

Info on the difference between Scottish claymores and Scottish basket hilted broadswords, the terms often lead to confusion:
    https://slaintescotland.com/2016/02/13/is-it-a-claymore-or-a-scottish-basket-hilted-broadsword/

Left Scottish basket hilted broadsword, right claymore:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    antidiem and komokwa like this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

These are still being made today so, without any identifying marks, it's hard to put an age on it. The crest appears rather generic and may not be related to a particular group/family.

antidiem likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The 1980s was a heyday of faux heraldic jewelry. Given the lack of marking, that would be my guess.

antidiem, bluumz and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The crest does look rather generic and doesn't have the detail of execution one would expect on a genuine period piece.

Debora

20210223_162818 2.jpg

11. Thanks for all your replies.

Since the ring was found in poland I guess they are probably Sabres they do look similar to the ones you posted. They ring does have a slight redness similar to central European gold.

Also due to the execution of the engraving I would say it's not especially well done. Meaning it could be like you say 1980,s faux heraldry or extremely old ;)

It could also be a cavalry ring too from military thats it's not specific to any family

Thanks again

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

At one point in the 1970s, sealing wax came back into vogue for a short time. It's also possible that it was made for sale to Polish military members as you mentioned. Possibly both.

Anyiquesbyjewels likes this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the engraving was done by an amateur with a concrete nail.

Anyiquesbyjewels and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted