Featured Antique Silver? and Cut Crystal Swan Salt Cellar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Johan Derkesen, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Hello again,
    just because it's pretty....

Sier-29345753-Zoutvaatje pauw kristal en zilverkleurig metaal AnsJas-1.jpg Sier-29345753-Zoutvaatje pauw kristal en zilverkleurig metaal AnsJas-4.jpg Sier-29345753-Zoutvaatje pauw kristal en zilverkleurig metaal AnsJas-8.jpg Sier-29345753-Zoutvaatje pauw kristal en zilverkleurig metaal AnsJas-10.jpg Sier-29345753-Zoutvaatje pauw kristal en zilverkleurig metaal AnsJas-15.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What's the size?
    If small about 1" or so, I would say 1960s saccharine server.

It is lovely. And you take very nice photos.

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It is a mid 20th century salt cellar and spoon (the head and wings should be glued to the body) - bears a Dutch 'ZII' import or finished/used goods mark for .835 fineness that would date 1953 or later, it's likely of German manufacture. Are the marks shown on the spoon? There should also be marks on the swan, and perhaps a maker's mark too...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It looks more like a peacock than a swan BWDIK. :happy::happy::happy:

5. DragonflyWink

Stylized 'crowned' swan design (but I agree on the peacock resemblance)...

~Cheryl

6. Dimensions:
    Glass frame: weight 63 grams; length 6.9; width 4.1; height 2.2 cm
    Upper: weight 29 grams; length 7; width (wings closed) 3.2, wings opened 6 cm; height: 5.6 cm
    Total height 6.9 cm

Spoon: 5 grams; length 6.7; width 1.3; height 0.5 cm

DragonflyWink and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. DragonflyWink

Eh, would think there would be some element of a tail if intended as a peacock, but the head really does look more like a peacock, even taking 'artistic license' into consideration. Have a bit of time now to dig out some open salt books to see if this design is shown...

~Cheryl

i need help likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

Found it on page 107 in Jzyk & Robertson's 'The Open Salt Compendium' (2002), described as a peacock, but continue to be troubled by the lack of a tail, whether raised or at rest, it's usually the most distinct feature when depicting a peacock - another plate in the same book shows raised tails done on similar rooster salts...

9222019193251.jpg
    9222019193236.jpg

~Cheryl

10. Wow that's fantastic. Should I glue the upper part back onto the crystal and if so with what?

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

If you are going to sell it I would leave it as is. If you are keeping it the decision is up to you. Personally, if it sits okay I would be tempted to leave it as is regardless. It's a charming piece.
    Don

12. Thanks Don, I'll leave it as is make it nice and shiny and display it at home for now. Thanks everyone for the great help.

13. DragonflyWink

Would agree to just leave it - and having polished a number of similar winged pieces over the years, would be much easier to clean with the silver detached...

Condolences on your loss, my Mom is also recently passed, this old pic shows the majority (though not all) of her swan salts:

salts-mom-1a2.jpg

~Cheryl

14. Wow that's really impressive! I'm very sorry for your loss aswell. Thanks for your help;)

Draft saved Draft deleted