Antique silver candlestick.... age?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Daniel oshaughnessy, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

A recent find, antique silver candlestick. Wondering the age and where it may have been made. This is weighted and is hand etched or chased. It looks like an 18th century style...maybe French? Could not find any marks...it may have marks on the bottom inside of the base...but there is a lot of build up...may have to clean it. The base metal is a white metal, hope it is sterling. Any info on age or region of production would be greatly appreciated. :) 20181208_180615_HDR.jpg 20181208_180715_HDR.jpg 20181208_180635_HDR.jpg 20181208_180726_HDR.jpg 20181208_180816_HDR.jpg 20181208_180741_HDR.jpg 20181208_180752_HDR.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe pewter?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Daniel oshaughnessy

I dont't think so as it was black when I bought it and it cleaned up like silver. Also it is too light in weight to be pewter.

judy likes this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Is that a round stamp??
    20181208_180741_HDR.jpg

judy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think that's just where some of the chased decoration is showing beneath.

6. Daniel oshaughnessy

I agree...that is the chased design showing through. I am going to give the inside of the base a scrub down to see if I can find any marks.

judy likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

It looks to me like the broader part of the base was completely filled with pitch and then covered in some way (and that's why the inside is so dirty.) I doubt there will be any marks on the inside that would not have generated visible evidence on the exterior.

verybrad and judy like this.
  8. Daniel oshaughnessy

I thought that too...were non sterling pieces constructed like this and weighted?

judy likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Crossing my fingers for you that it's silver. I love it!

Daniel oshaughnessy and judy like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd vote for pewter as well.

11. Bakersgma

Yes they were.

I am also of the belief that pewter is more likely than silver here. I know what you said about cleaning it up, but that is not a conclusive test for solid silver.

judy likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Could see how this could be a silver weighted stick missing its bottom and, consequently, its mark. I would scratch heavily in to that bottom and test directly on the piece.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is this just part of the design?

upload_2018-12-9_12-39-51.png

komokwa likes this.
  14. Daniel oshaughnessy

Does anyone have a guesstimate on the age of this piece?

15. Daniel oshaughnessy

Why does this tarnish like silver? This pics were taken a while ago and it has tarnished since. Could it be coin silver? I have some pewter pieces and the metal does not look or feel the same.

16. Bakersgma

Could be silver plated. That "white metal" you mentioned above (along with "hope it is sterling") does not look like silver of any fineness to me. Could be a combination of the pictures and remnants of the weighting material, of course. My suggestion at this point is to take it to be tested professionally.

17. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Austo-hungarn make a lot of those silver filled items at first on an industrial basis, before filling was made since the Antiquity most on jewellery, and England make it on 80% of thei candlesticks since the first World War.
    The most plated items with filling I've seen are coming from sweden and around countries for design pieces especially candlesticks.
    Looking at the fixture made of iron and the design it can be of the first quarter of the 19th century or just before.
    Here it can be hallmarks as says before ?
    [​IMG]

Daniel oshaughnessy and judy like this.
  18. Daniel oshaughnessy

Thank you for the info...I will check on the marks to see what I can find.

Draft saved Draft deleted