Antique Sled Identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by James Minor, Oct 17, 2020.

1. James Minor

James Minor Member

Hello!

I came across your forum on google and was hoping you could assist me in identifying the make/model of our antique family sled. We believe the approximate year of purchase was around 1950 in Minnesota. My plan is to refurbish this family heirloom to a displayable condition, but I was hoping to research as much as possible to aid in matching it's original colors, logo, etc.

I have attached a few pictures for you to review.

Thank you for any help you can offer. I am very glad to be part of this group and really looking forward to your thoughts.

~ James

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Welcome James. I know nothing of sleds,being a Floridian ,but hopefully this will bump you up .

James Minor and judy like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

James Minor and judy like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

Do you know family history that would make this an antique (at least 100 years old). I'm thinking more from the 50s or 60s. Looks a lot like mine, that resides in my shed - it was new in the 50s.

patd8643, James Minor and judy like this.
  5. James Minor

James Minor Member

Thank you for the quick response...Yes, we believe it was new around 1950. What brand is yours?

6. James Minor

James Minor Member

judy likes this.
  7. wiscbirddog

Mine is a Flexible Flyer.

Firemandk, Bakersgma and James Minor like this.
  8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I had one like that in the early 60's. your's looks well loved. Mine had a rope knotted into the holes on the steering brace. Not that it was possible to steer them anyway! LOL. As I remember, I liked mu plastic saucer for downhill adventuring better.
    I remember my sled having red detailing on the top boards. Would guess your's did too but is worn away.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Mine was a Flexible Flyer too! 1950s version which was also used by my now 50 yr old son.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

11. James Minor

James Minor Member

"say_it_slowly" BINGO...THIS HAS GOT TO BE IT!!! Not only does it look identical (to my eye anyway), but it is the only model I have come across so far that has the same length! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

A Royal Racer that I saw for sale locally:

Screenshot (11).png

James Minor likes this.
  13. James Minor

James Minor Member

Hello New Favorite Group!

Getting ready to begin the Sled Project, but have a quick question....What type of rivet is this? Any suggestions of where to purchase them? Thx!

Attached Files:

14. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

In regard to rivets; search for "Round solid steel rivet". Any industrial supply house like Grainger would carry them. It might be easier to stop at a machine shop to buy a few in the right size, along with some flat washers.

James Minor likes this.
  15. James Minor

James Minor Member

HELLO EVERYONE! Well, as many of you can attest, the good ole' "Honey~Do" list has a way of sometimes jumping in front of your "Stuff I Wanna Do" list. With that said, it gives me GREAT PRIDE to present to you the FINISHED SLED discussed way back in October, 2020!!!
    BERLIN SLED-1.jpg BERLIN SLED-2.jpg BERLIN SLED-3.jpg

Figtree3, BoudiccaJones and bluumz like this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had one of those. They were killer if you went over a bump and your chin landed on that metal strip.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

excellent refurb job!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. David Zadrazil

David Zadrazil New Member

I have a sled I want to restore also. What type of wood did you use. And what type of wood was use originally on these sleds

19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Rosebud. Just a joke.

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The original poster hasn't been here in a year... but since he did come back for an update, maybe he will get a notice about your questions. @James Minor

Draft saved Draft deleted