Featured Antique small box Japanes/Chinese writing inside

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, Feb 22, 2019.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I got this neat box out of a storage unit.Has some type of Chinese or Japanese writing inside bottom and lid.Any information. SAM_1057.JPG SAM_1059.JPG SAM_1060.JPG SAM_1061.JPG SAM_1062.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a game box.....or maybe scribes writing box...

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

You don't mention size but it looks like several boxes I have at my lock-up that contain Chinese Baoding Balls, (Stress Balls)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't those have a nice satin lining?
    and a space to hold your balls..? ................................................:playful:

dgbjwc, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. antiquelover69

Box is not satin lined,there's no place for Chinese stress balls.I have a small box with the stress balls.The storage probably belonged to an elderly lady because there were lots of old items.The box look like it was well used.

i need help likes this.
  8. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

the writing using traditional chinese,i guess it's not younger than 19th century.for the purpose i don't have any idea,i'm not good reading traditional chinese,but maye for scroll box purpose or my wild opinion it could be have something with fortune teller things,i don't know :angelic:

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  9. Luis1026

Luis1026 New Member

I think the pages inside the box are from the Tung Shing (通勝) which is a Chinese divination guide and almanac.

The up side is "朱子治家格言" (Zhu Xi's Maxims for Managing the Home) from the Tung Shing. You can see the words "讀書,為官,守分,聽天". It's from the page "讀書"志在聖賢非徒科第"為官"心存君國豈計身家"守分"安命順時"聽天" which means "In study one should aim at the saints and worthies, not merely at a degree. As an official one's heart should be with one's lord and country; how can one plan to advance oneself and one's family?! Keep in your social position and accept your fate. Follow the times. Obey Heaven."

The down side is some unit of traditional measurement of China about the "blessed hour"(吉時).

Reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_Shing
    http://pages.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/chin/chtxts/JuBorlu.html

10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Awesome!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. antiquelover69

Wowwwww! so wonderful! great information! I love it,thanks sooo much Luis1026!

12. antiquelover69

The words are on wood,the box is covered in leather.Awesome

Draft saved Draft deleted