Featured Antique Small Persian? Rug help

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Eric Tipton, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Eric Tipton

Eric Tipton Member

Hello,

I recently picked up this absolutely incredible rug at a garage sale, and would love to learn more about it. It's a small size, measuring approximately 3" feet by 2" feet and 2" inches. Can anyone identify the region, age, or style?

The owner said they had it in their house for over 60 years as a cover to a piano, and the owner's mother got it from her neighbor who did a lot of traveling to Syria to buy and sell rugs, so she got top choice because they were friends...supposedly.

It definitely has some good age, it's hand made, with what looks like a tight weave but then again I'm not an expert. Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Eric rsz_20200726_175145.jpg rsz_20200726_175211.jpg rsz_20200726_175337.jpg rsz_20200726_175420.jpg rsz_20200726_175436.jpg

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice rug with a lovely design, Eric!

I does look like it is VERY uniformly "faded" which suggests to me that PERHAPS it was chemically treated to mimic age. This was quite common AFAIK.

Oh and when I see green being used, it can be a sign that a rug is Turkish.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is a distressed Oushak rug.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Eric Tipton

Eric Tipton Member

Thank you very much Blooey, I will absolutely look into Oushak rugs. I truly believe it is uniformly faded because of the story the owner gave me of how it was never walked on and sat in one spot for many long years, but then again I'm not an expert so who knows. Hope its a good one!

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted