Antique Small Photo "Veritable Of Christ"

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by antiquelover69, Dec 6, 2022.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I brought out a storage that had boxes and albums of old photos.This is one of the photos I got out of one of the album.What does Veritable mean.Any idea the age of this phote.All of the photos appeared to be very old SAM_9250.JPG SAM_9251.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think it means it's a selfie ...:wideyed:

"); display: inline-block; height: 24px; width: 24px; margin-top: -1px; transform: rotateZ(-180deg);">

Adverb. veritably (comparative more veritably, superlative most veritably) In a veritable manner; in a way that truly and accurately describes something.

I think someone believes that , that is exactly what Christ looked like !

3. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

My humble opinion is that this is -" the best translation i could find -is blessing card, they give them in church on special ocassions like easter, christmas...
    Here are some exemples
    https://www.mks-sticna.si/slo/zbirke/digitalne-zbirke/podobice

and i would guess on the printing of the words on yours that it is like early 1900s...i have some old praying books with very similar printing..

just guessing :D but maybe it helps...

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is. He was one of the first, and as you can see, pretty good at it.

komokwa likes this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

He didn't even need a bronze age 'brownie' & normally he printed on cloth.

antiquelover69 and komokwa like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It could be early 20th century, but also could be from the late 19th. The card mount and printed text remind me of less expensive card-mounted photographs of the 19th century.

antiquelover69 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. antiquelover69

I have an album with pictures of family. Another one that read at the bottom,"Love's Letter box SAM_9258.JPG SAM_9266.JPG SAM_9263.JPG SAM_9262.JPG

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You don't provide sizes, but the photos look like albumen prints in the carte de visite format. Carte de visite photos were popular from the late 1850s into the 1870s. They were inexpensive, making photographic portraiture affordable for many people. Popular subjects - such as political and military figures, actors and other people of interest - could be mass produced and the images became collectible sort of like baseball cards. Such collectible images could include reproductions of prints and drawings such as the "portrait" of Christ and your last example.

9. antiquelover69

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted