Antique Sofa, probably from St. Louis MO late 1800s

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by danieljwerning, Oct 11, 2019.

1. danieljwerning

danieljwerning New Member

This sofa was passed to me from my father-in-law, who received it from his father-in-law who lived in Springfield MO in the late 1800s. It was most likely purchased around that time in St. Louis MO, although it could be older, of course.

1. What can you tell me about this sofa, its age, maker and style? Unless someone can give me a clue as to hidden location, I am unable to locate any maker's mark on it.
    2. I am aware that the re-upholstering job is not authentic. Tell me what the proper material should be, and how it would affect the sofa's value if current upholstery was replaced.
    3. What would you estimate the sofa's approximate value at?

If anyone wants any further closeup pictures from a different angle, can do. It is upholstered now, though. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Wow - quite the sofa! Great piece!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess renaissance revival,circa 1870s. Great piece!

sabre123, komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Renaisance revival style sofa in the style of John Jeliff. Would say circa 1870. You generally see these upholstered in a solid velvet but think a tone on tone pattern in damask is more appropriate. Here are some examples.
    [​IMG]
    Original fabric (Brooklyn Museum)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. danieljwerning

danieljwerning New Member

It is now for sale and I only have until January 1 to sell and ship it (then move to Bangkok, where I don't want to take it...).

Understanding that demand for antiques is fickle, would you care to offer a range of its value in current fabric or in appropriate velvet or damask fabric?

Draft saved Draft deleted