Antique Stained Glass Window

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GaleriaGila, Feb 10, 2016.

1. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

20160210_192854_resized.jpg As some of you know, we're downsizing and moving; here's one of the casualties. I have an appointment to show this to the local power-player shop dealing with stained glass this weekend. I'd like to be ready to recognize a reasonable offer. It measures about 2.5 by 2.5 feet. It's apparently the top half of a design. My online research tells me it is definitely antique... most similar pieces sell for 2-300... but they are complete designs without flaws (note the damaged glass, upper right in second picture). So I figure a reasonable offer would be 75-ish. Please forgive me for asking directly about price. HONESTLY, it's not so much the money as it is that I hate to get taken... don't we all? I don't know anything about the dealer or his reputation.
    If more pictures are needed, you'll get them
    Muchas gracias!
    Gila 20160209_141905_resized_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What a fine suncatcher....it goes in a widow....takes up no room !!!

But ...from where I sit even with the damage....stained glass is expensive....
    I'd settle for no less than $ 400....

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

20160209_141905_resized_1.jpg Hi Gila,
    I would not take less than 150 for it. It would take a good restorer about 20 mins to repair. I have done a lot of small repairs like this but has taken me longer, about 2 hours. The easiest way would be cut off the top piece and just replace the small square. The blue sky is WONDERFUL
    greg

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wowwwwwwwwwwwzer...
    Thank you! Both!!!!! If I don't get a worthy offer, it DOES make a nice suncatcher...

Bonnie Bonny and KingofThings like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very nice window in an aesthetic motif that is a bit hard to find. If it were without damage, I wouldn't hesitate to ask $375.00 or more for it. I think with the damage, $75.00 is too low even to a dealer. It is a pretty easy fix for the right person. I would shoot for $150.00 and take a reasonable offer close to that. Better yet, why not try it on CL or ebay with pick-up only and shoot for more ($250.00 OBO)?

6. verybrad

I see that there are cracks in two other corners. Is that all? If so, I would think my above advice still pertains. Cracks in the interior are much harder to fix.

GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice ... I love stained glass pieces. Looks like you have gotten some good advice! I see what you mean about it being the top half of a design. Do you think it's been reframed, then? It is hard for me to tell how old this might be from the photos. Looks like a lot of it is made with the copper foil method, although some may be lead cane. Copper foiling was not really done prior to the 20th century, I don't think. And the frame around it looks relatively new to me. But that might not be original to the piece.

I took some classes in making this kind of thing, long ago. I never graduated beyond basic classes, but I do know the amount of work that goes into making these sorts of pieces.

8. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but living where you do you might just quickly try a craigslist ad. We sold 2 windows in not so nice a condition this past summer to someone from Cleveland. Had many, many responses and got nice money. The man who bought them was using them in a bar in his basement and ended up buying a mirror from us, too.

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Yes it's foil so easier to fix but may be hard to match the patina.

Figtree3 and GaleriaGila like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Can't comment on value, but this might be much newer than you think. Patterns like this were readily available in the 1970s and '80s. I'm not such a fan of the blue; a nice color, but I feel a diligent maker would have tried to align the streaks rather than setting the pieces all higgledy piggledy.

11. KingofThings

I most certainly concur with that design flaw point.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Komo and Greg... thank you!
    Brad and Fig, thank you! CL... noted, Brad. Yes, Fig, it was reframed maybe 30 years ago.
    Jen, George... I think Craig's List or such will be my Plan B...
    King, thank you for that!
    I am so happy... I will walk into that dealer with some smarts... and keep the piece if I'm not satisfied... prepared with a Plan B.
    Now I won't walk in clueless. What a great feeling.
    MOS... noted... thanks... pretty sure this was in a basement by 1950... but not sure...
    *singing*
    "... with a little help from my friends..."

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  13. KingofThings

If you like it...and want to keep it...it wouldn't be too hard for you to repair yourself because it's foil.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Speaking of later pieces... this I believe is 1970s-ish... not sure what to do with IT! glass.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, Kingsie!
    I'd probably electrocute myself!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

Stained glass Rorschach test? ;)

Aquitaine and GaleriaGila like this.
  17. KingofThings

No...... :)
    You could get cut and burn yourself...with effort. :)

GaleriaGila likes this.
  18. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Kingsie, you're a piece of work yourself!
    xoGila

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

Ha!!!!!
    I think that was a compliment............................ ;)

GaleriaGila likes this.
  20. verybrad

Doesn't look like foil to me. I think thin lead caming and old. Would like to see a close-up and the texture on the opposite side of the glass to be sure. The comment about the glass graining to be mis-matched is well taken.

This would have been the top half of a double-hung window. Here is a similar window as it would have appeared on-site. Note the asking price on this baby. The form and quality of this is superior but I think Gila's window to be quite nice.

[​IMG]

http://www.antiqueamericanstainedglasswindows.com/fid13056ab/

Draft saved Draft deleted