Antique Sterling Silver Fork?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Thrifster, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

This is a Sterling Silver fork I purchased at the thrift store a while ago. It measures about 7" in length and on the front I think it says "Pister Bonaventure" or "Lister Bonaventure".

On the back is a Lion facing right, an Anchor and I think the letter "G" for Gorham. It also says Sterling and has the letter "E" in a Diamond shape.

When I look the sterling marks up it says it's Gorham for the year 1872. I think it is the Gorham letter "G" for that for that time period. I tried to find the name Lister and Pister Bonaventure that is on the fork without any success. Does anyone know if that name is a place or person or something else? Thanks in advance for any info.

HPIM6675.JPG
    HPIM6674.JPG
    HPIM6672.JPG
    HPIM6673.JPG
    HPIM6676.JPG
    HPIM6678.JPG

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Those are Gorham marks, the pattern is 'Wreath', introduced in 1911, the 'E' is a weight mark indicating 'Extra', one step above the the lowest 'Trade' weight - the engraving is 'Sister Bonaventure', most likely a nun...

~Cheryl

3. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

Cheryl, thanks for that info! I didn't think that letter was an "S" for "Sister" but that makes more sense to me now. Also, thanks for pointing out what the letter "E" was. Here I was thing it was a date mark but that would not be possible with the Gorham Wreath pattern. Now I will have to continue my search with the name on the handle.

judy likes this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It was extremely uncommon for Gorham to use date codes on flatware, they were used almost exclusively on holloware, and some of those weren't date coded.

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted