Antique to Vintage Folding Fans questions

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Ladybranch, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I have 3 pleated folding fans that in need of timeframe, etc... info. One is in poor condition, but feel it is the oldest. All opinions on as to materials, time period, country of origin, and of any value, would be much appreciated. I have looked at several online fan websites finding none like these. A good fan website is: http://faechersammlung.de/sammlungE.htm

TIA.

--- Susan

[​IMG]

1. White Sequined Silk (?) Leaf with Ivory/Bone (?) Montures Fan

14 3/4" wide X 8" long (8 1/2" long with narrow stiff cream color leather ring). Leaf or Leaves: plain white silk or satin decorated with 3 horizontal rows of flat round silver sew-on sequins and 2 horizontal rows of flat wheel/spoke sew-on sequins. They were definitely sewn on by hand before the sticks - ribs - were attached to the material. The ivory Montures (sticks and guards): appear to be carved ivory with a delicate scroll design. The guard also has a little piercing. Condition: bad; the leaves material has yellowed and brittle resulting in the material cracked at every fold. The top of back/left guard has broken off - lost.

I feel this is the oldest fan. Wonder if it was considered a Victorian wedding fan? As it is in poor condition, I am thinking of dumping it, but if the sticks are truly ivory what should I do with it?

FanWhiteSequinFt.jpg

FanWhiteSequinBkCUp.jpg FanWhiteSequinSticks.jpg FanWhiteSequinFoldGuard-combo.jpg

2. Flowering Tree Motif Silk with Faux Tortoise Shell Wood Montures Fan

25 1/2" wide X 13 3/8" long (14" long with end loop). Leaf: fairly heavy dark blue nearly purple satin with a pic is of pink and white blossoms and bright green highlights of greenery on a long tree limb with branches. It looks hand painted. The pic is only on the front. The Montures (sticks and guards): are painted wood or stained in a mottled brown that resembles tortoise shell. The sticks and guards have gilded carved designs. Condition: good; 1 of the sticks is split, no tears in the leaves.

FanBlueLeafBrownWoodFt.jpg

FanBlueLeafBrownWoodLeaf.jpg FanBlueLeafBrownWoodStickGuard.jpg FanBlueLeafBrownWoodBk.jpg

3. Typical Gaudy Japanese Motif (Silver Peacock, Mt Fuji, Cherry Blossoms, Tea House) Black Silk(?) Montures Fan. This one is probably 1950s-60s, but thought I'd ask anyways.

17 3/4" wide X 9 5/8 (10" long with steel/stainless/aluminum loop). Leaf: hand painted Japanese motif consists of a silver peacock, white topped aqua Mt. Fuji, orange red tea house, dark red and gray bridge with cherry blossoms swirling around a black background extending down on to the sticks. On the back of the guard is a 1" narrow cartouche that contains 3 mesh (tiny metal wire screening) shapes: 2 arrow heads shapes on each end with a diamond shape in the middle. Condition: Good; No rips or tears, only the black paint on the back of the left guard has chipped off.

FanBkJapanSymFt.jpg

FanJapan.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The top one does not seem to have the tiny flecks that indicate bone. Often the guards of ivory fans will show a scarf (shallow sloping) joint at leaf level, where they have made do with two smaller pieces of the expensive material.

That one does appear to be early, but the relic condition makes it shed material in my book.

Fans seem to have grown during the 19th C.

The middle one has what I think is a mechanically reproduced design on the sticks (look for repetition of tiny details of the design) and with the scumbled (painted) tortoise effect indicate we are into the age of much faking up stuff to look a lot more expensive than it was, so I'd say that one is earlyish 20th C.

You are probably right about the third but the little inlaid pieces are something I have not seen.

I am no expert on fans, and all this may be more or less nonsense.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    I had a nice old fan that the silk shattered. I was going to toss the thing. I read an artical about making sure to save the sticks. Found a fan repairer who used my old sticks and used new silk. The fan was wonderful and made a great gift. The price was about 25 bucks that was 10 years ago. I now have a medium feather fan that needs some work but there are no repairs here. To send it off to a company is just insane with the price. Alas the woman that I had used is no longer available.
    I love your tortiseshell fan.
    greg

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was looking at this last night. Tried to get a closer look at the first one, but can't see it too clearly. I too, do not think it is bone or ivory.
    French ivory, also known as celluloid was popular - I believe late 1800s early 1900s.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  5. Ladybranch

Thank you all for the replies. As to the 1st one being ivory, bone or celluloid, the thought of celluloid circulated through my little gray cells also. I did a hot pin test on it. The pin did not penetrate the guard. I did burn a finger!!! I'm not getting any chemical smell from the sticks. Of course my sense of smell isn't what it was a few decades ago. I tried to take better pics, close-ups, of the guard and its edge. I also took a close-up of a break in the back, narrow, guard. I think (?) it looks like a bone/ivory break to me with a little splintering. Af, Clutter, et al, what are your opinions on the break? I'm really not up on bone or ivory breaks unless chicken wishbones qualify. Thank goodness I haven't had compound fracture experiences!

FanWhiteSequinGuardCUp.jpg

FanWhiteSequinGuardEdge-combo.jpg FanWhiteSequinBreak-combo.jpg

Af and Clutter, thank you both for taking the time to reply and giving timeframes!

"The middle one has what I think is a mechanically reproduced design on the sticks (look for repetition of tiny details of the design)"

On looking closer at the second fan, you are no doubt right. The design on the sticks certainly is repetitive. It is repetitive also on the guard. The designs do look identical. I have included an enlarged close-up of the design on the guard. Am also including a close-up pic of the leaf design. I though it was handpainted, but don't think so anymore.

FanBlueLeafBrownGuard.jpg
    FanBlueLeafBrownCUp.jpg

"I love your tortiseshell fan."

Greg, that's my favor also, but it would be nice if it was real tortiseshell. :( At the moment, I really think I'm going to dump the 1st one. It is too damage and bet it would cost way too much to have it restored. Not only is the leaf about in tatters but the back narrow guard is broken. Really only the front larger guard is in good shape. I guess I could offer it to anyone with an interest. Even if I kept the front wider guard, I have no idea what I would do with it. Also like the above replies, I'm not even 100% sure whether it is ivory, bone or celluloid.

I also have a folding ivory/bone carved parasol handle. The handle has silver fittings (runner, etc...), don't know if fittings is the right word, with brass hardware. It has all its stretchers, ribs, runner and ivory/bone tip, but the leaf/canopy is long gone. It is just a skeleton. Next week will probably post a query about it.

--- Susan

6. afantiques

I am now pretty sure the first one is ivory. The sticks and guards are useful to restorers to replace missing ivory inlay and bits like the thin strips around the mouths of Victorian card cases.

I'm pretty sure a box of relic fans in the shed has something very similar. I'll have a look later today.

7. Ladybranch

Thank you, af on replying. If you were closer, I'd toss this white fan into your famous shed!!

--- Susan

8. afantiques

I had a dig around and have a couple of photos that may help identify ivory fan guards although some bone ones show the same feature.

This is the use of scarf joints to got long pieces from shorter ones, and here are two pictures of ivory guards with joints just visible. They are tricky to see so the first is a faint curved line justto the left of the word 'Joint'and the second even fainter just above the word.

1-P1030699.JPG

upload_2014-9-10_19-54-46.png

I dug out some other fans while looking for these and I will start a new thread with some pictures.

Attached Files:

9. Allybelle

Allybelle New Member

Pls I have a bunch Ive collected over the years and Ive no clue on them and would dearly appreciate any help and I don't know how to insert picture from here lol

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

r u on a phone, tablet computer......we have many helpful threads for photo's...

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

12. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Allybelle - when you do figure out how to post pics here PLEASE start a new thread instead of adding to this one that is which is 5.5 years old.

one quick note on pics that many people use: if they are on your phone, try emailing them to yourself as size medium, save & then post. all pics have to be under 1MB in size.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted