Featured Antique trunk/chest

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Frisc0pn0ib0i, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Frisc0pn0ib0i

Frisc0pn0ib0i New Member

614B864E-E4D2-436E-A2E7-714E55AC6AA4.jpeg A5FAE8AA-768C-4D6E-A64E-895120DAC753.jpeg Could someone tell me if this trunk that was given to me by my aunt who passed away worth anything? I asked an antique shop and they said it’s scrap. I want to make sure before I get rid of it. Thanks in advanced!

A5FAE8AA-768C-4D6E-A64E-895120DAC753.jpeg

Ghopper1924, 808 raver and kyratango like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Frisc.
    Nice trunk. People love to use these as coffee tables.

3. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

What is the size? What does the inside look like?
    Patd

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That would fetch at least the equivalent of $100 in England. Results may differ where you are. Where are you?
    It may have maker information inside. It does appear to be very robust.

Search for 'steamer trunk'

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would like to see the interior but this would certainly have some value. If a common steamer trunk, it ought to be worth $50-100.00 most places. If by a known maker or with a deluxe interior, it could be worth more. Looks like you have the key which is a big plus.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Robust indeed.....at the very least it's a great place for storage....but with a good spit & polish.....it would have many uses !!!

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I wouldn’t say any significant value, but GREAT for storage if you need it!!!! OR as AJ said, people love them for coffee tables, so you might find a buyer!!

AND WELCOME to ANTIQUERS forums, @Frisc0pn0ib0i !!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Can you imagine trying to lug that bastard onto an ocean-liner!?

As AF said, what you got here is a 'steamer trunk', a large (usually wooden or metal) trunk, covered in leather or painted-up, and used for LONG HAUL travel across the oceans by steamship.

They're pretty common so yes, not worth much. Unless you suddenly discover it was made by Louis Vuitton or something.

Due to their size, they are popular as coffee-tables, side-tables, etc. I certainly wouldn't try traveling with one of these today, unless you have to move a dead body or something...

Ghopper1924, patd8643 and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted