Featured Antique Vase - ID Help Please (Weller?)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by FunkeysFinds, Jul 25, 2017.

1. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Hello and Happy Tuesday!

I found this pretty vase a couple of weeks ago and initially thought the glaze was similar to Brush McCoy. But now me thinks not. The glaze decoration is different than anything I'm really familiar with and the bulbous form now speaks to me of Weller. I do not - for some reason, yet - have any Weller books on hand.

What do folks think? I'm hoping the wavy green design shows up, it is very pretty.

Measures 7'' by 7''. Thank you for your help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Very Pretty , but I know nothing about it......however the bottom of it reminds me of the HULL and McCoy Brown drip pieces I have and use. I could be totally off base though!

FunkeysFinds and judy like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I love the glaze and shape on your vase. You are correct that it is not Brush McCoy onyx. I don't think it's Weller either. The green is what throws it off for both manufacturers. Standard glazes or onyx by those companies don't normally feature green. But I think it was produced around the same time as onyx and is American. If I was forced to put it into a time frame I would say 1920's or 1930's. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Don

FunkeysFinds likes this.
  4. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Don --

Thanks for your input! I spent a good amount of time last night trying to ID this without success. I think it will be listed without a positive ID, but hopefully will find a new home and will be enjoyed. It is always interesting when you research, as sometimes you come across companies and potteries one may not have heard of previously and learn more.... something we all like. When I was looking up similar antique glazes and time frames, I came across these makers others may enjoy 'googling':

1. Faiencerie Thulin (Belgium) - This is only marked Belgium on the base, like this W. Germany or Germany pieces, so a good one to look for. It sells well.

2. Bretby

3. Wadeheath

4. Hosley

None of these I was familiar with which surprised me. Thought I would pass the names along in case others wanted to learn about them and what to look for.

____

Bdigger -- thanks for responding!

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted