Antique vase Japanese floral and mountains handled heavy gold

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mugzinnys, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

I usually call her everything Chinese but I believe this to be a Japanese vase. Maybe I'm learning a little bit as I go along here at the forum. It looks very old lots of crazing and some damage I got it at the thrift store today it was reduced way down to $5 and just for the size of aloane I said I must get it. The more I look at it the more I like it it seems to be hand-painted throughout there is no marking on the bottom so I believe it's before marks where required on all Imports. All help would be appreciated in describing the vase or urn all the flowers and circles I am sure are there with some type of meaning.
    thank you
    it is 16 and a quarter inches tall and eight and three quarter inches abreast.The handles have been be glued and there's a large chip on the rim that was glued, someone went to Great Lengths to put this girl back together 20180822_105514.jpg 20180822_105648.jpg 20180822_105528.jpg 20180822_105620.jpg 20180822_105656.jpg 20180822_105706.jpg 20180822_105718.jpg 20180822_105547.jpg 20180822_105542.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would soak that broken piece on the rim and reglue it. It would look a lot better.
    It is a very nice nice vase. You could fix the missing part on the handle just add Elmers glue and corn starch to fill in the missing piece and rub a gold paste over the missing piece.
    greg

Christmasjoy, Mugzinnys and judy like this.
  3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think it isn’t an antique yet. Made sometime in the 20th c. IMHO, and may have had a sticker on the bottom stating country of origin (ie, Made In China, Made In Japan).

4. Mugzinnys

thanks, Gregsglass for the helpful advice on repairing the vase. The more I look at this vase the more I like it, it's growing on me. Thanks Kentworld I'm not sure of the age of the vase are there other characteristics on the vase that may help me pinpoint the age? I looked at the bottom and it was crazed and sort of yellowish or ivory looking I presume that it probably was white and had yellow over time and that was how I was guessing the age basically. The wear on the gold on the handles and the first gold line above the foot and the rim shows to me that someone probably used this beautiful object it didn't just sit somewhere it was in used. So based on that I was saying to myself maybe it was an older item but I'm not an expert, but that was the reasoning I used to put it in the antique forum instead of the pottery and glass forum.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  5. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Pardon my Aussie ignorance, but what is Elmer's Glue and how do you do a repair with cornstarch? :sorry:

6. Mugzinnys

Elmer's glue is a American staple we used it in grade school when I was a kid it's a white glue and I am not sure of the ingredients but it's safe for kids I know that. Elmer's is the brand of the glue. You probably have some form of Elmer's glue in Australia it's a white glue used to glue paper together mostly

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Christmasjoy, judy and AuDragon like this.
  7. gregsglass

Hi,
    Elmers glue is a white glue usually used by children. It is very mild when mixed with cornstarch to thicken and make it more like a putty. You then fill in the missing pieces and let it dry. Then you can lightly sand it and either cover it with a rub in gold finish, just to make your repair look good. It is all reversible and will not cause permanent harm. You use baking soda instead of corn starch on earthenware. It is great on china repair like Fiestaware, you use the corn starch on porcelain. It is an easy fix on pieces that are not used but on display. it can be reversed with no damage. Just a hint I learned at the Metropolitan Museum repair studio. Never do a permanent repair that might cause trouble down the road. I fixed a bad crack on a porcelain teacup by boiling it in milk for 10 mins. The crack never got bigger and never leaked even after being used for many years later. The milk also colored the crack so it was not visible to the naked eye but was slightly visible under magnification.
    greg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Mugzinnys

9. Mugzinnys

Greg, I am, impressed

10. AuDragon

Thanks Greg that's great advice. Really interesting and I will definitely try. I have seen many types of Elmer's Glue online, is there a particular type e.g. school glue, woodwork glue, craft glue etc.

11. gregsglass

Hi,
    The simple is the best. The white school is the one I use.
    greg

12. Mugzinnys

Is this Pottery Japanese?
    Is this Pottery older than a hundred years?

What does the three rings of circles and dots double circles and dots symbolize?

13. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I think Elmer's glue is also called Polyvinyl-acetate (PVA) in some other countries.

Jivvy likes this.
  14. AuDragon

Now that makes a lot of sense in Australia. Thanks.

15. Mugzinnys

When it comes to this vase I really liked it with the crack in the rim. I think it's beautiful two handles that both have been crack three times on the side that's unique. So the bottom line is I love the vase just the way it is and I wouldn't want to change a thing. I won't be trying to recondition it, I am not a restorer, just an admirer of the potter and decorators that made it. There is a mysterious story behind those broken arms and that busted lip did someone get disciplined did they feel guilt or remorse and who was the person that made the gallant effort to restore it. I love it just the way it is the cracks add to the mystery in my opinion because it tells unknown story and adds to the Provenance.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Jivvy and AuDragon like this.
  16. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Do you know if it is porcelain? If so, egg white (whipped a little) is a very good glue and will last if not carried by the break.

Draft saved Draft deleted