Featured antique/Vintage Brown Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

There has been quite a bit of discussion about values of brown furniture being down. The trend quite awhile now has been for painted furniture. Can anyone explain why this is? Will brown furniture rebound any time soon?

I have reluctantly jumped on the paint bandwagon to make a living. However, there are some things I just can not bring myself to paint. There are others like-minded dealers still banging their heads against the wall and selling brown furniture. There are some great buys in the marketplace right now and sales can be made if the price is right. Post any brown furniture bargains you see in your travels so that we can at least appreciate what is still out there.

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

The proliferation of 'Shabby Chic' has being ongoing for quite a long time now. Not dropped off as far as I know.
    Much on TV about it, HGTV and the like, and I haven't watched TV since fall or so of 2001 so it was going strong before that.
    I have sold quite a bit but I have never painted anything good or even in nice shape. I have rescued junk, much of it literally in pieces, and saved it in this way.

3. verybrad

We have one dealer in our group shop that still refinishes brown furniture. He does a beautiful job but the furniture mostly just sits. He often discounts it to sell and I really don't know how he can justify doing it any longer. I wouldn't put the amount of work in to the pieces he does for what he can make on them.

Here are some examples from our shop in the last two weeks. All prices are retail and negotiable. .......

I would be all over this bookcase if I had the room. Asking $395.00 but I am sure it will ultimately sell for less.
    brown.jpg

This is birdseye maple that is not given justice in this photo. Just stunning! Asking $250.00

brown2.jpg

Drop front desk has a replaced top piece but the original organizer inside is there. Asking $139.00.

brown3.jpg

Pair french marquetry tables. $35.00 each.

brown4.jpg

5 matching MCM Bedroom pieces in great condition. $550.00 for all,

brown5.jpg

Oak side by side. Discounted price of $359.00.

brown6.jpg

4. KingofThings

Oh my....
    I'll take the first and the last. :)
    Maybe the second and third too. :)

Christmasjoy, Brenda Anna and SeaGoat like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Die for the bird's eye maple chest. Charming.

Debora

6. verybrad

Forgot to mention that the birdseye maple chest is huge. About 42" wide and 5' tall. Also a bit deeper than normal. Not your basic wimpy tall chest from the period.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My next door neighbor sold her duplex.
    She had a beautiful fully finished basement with a stone fireplace, full bar, bathroom/laundry room, rich wood paneling ,& recessed lighting.......cozy , warm and in great condition..................

The new owners are gutting it like a fish !!

Times change , tastes change........

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 4 others like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful eye candy! Thank you --:happy::happy:

9. KingofThings

That stinks....literally. :(

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have the baby brother of the birds-eye chest! One of my favorite pieces!

Christmasjoy, judy, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a smaller birds eye maple chest. It has those hidden castors so the chest looks like it is flat on the floor but still movable. I bought it and refinished it since it was built in April 1905 same as my old house. The top drawers were stamped with the dates April 12th 1905 built, April 15th 1905 varnished. It was my first stamped when made piece. Even the bottom of the drawers were birds eye maple.
    greg

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  12. KingofThings

Which thread is it that has the corner piece that's 'painted' with the concoction from old 78s please?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't remember seeing that one!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  14. KingofThings

Quite interesting Fig!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

IMH(Mexican)O...

Shabby chic and all its relatives are unpopular with Mexican-Americans. The loud and colorful stuff like you see in Mexican residents are okay, but nothing looking worn or "poor". Most of all, we like NEW and shiny wood, dark and light. If it's antique, it better still look GOOD! I suspect the stereotype of uncouth/poor/shabby Mexicans makes it yucky to us.

As far as White/majority Americans, I have noticed that over the last ten years, most folks seem to value uniqueness, individuality, home-made, DIY type stuff, and to see less merit in things that are beautiful, old-fashioned, classic, made-by-famous-maker stuff. And I see that as a general cultural thing that trickles down into home décor.

But those are my generalizations, and I myself fly in the face of them. In my house, you'll find a mix of classic (burl wood drum tables) and rustic (weathered primitive cabinets). And plenty of brown furniture.

Thanks for a thought-provoking thread, Brad.

17. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I had good luck selling brown furniture on Craigslist until last summer. Now it seems everything takes a long time to sell on Craigslist, not just brown furniture.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive been saying for a while now , if I had the means Id be buying up all this brown furniture and putting it away , I just know the worm will turn again ! People will get tired of MCM and painted shabby chic , its a given . I am seeing more and more brown stuff being used in my decorating mags , so heres hoping the trend reverses . Id be all over that bookcase , and that bedroom set !

19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Johnny, if somebody were going to subscribe to a one of those decorating mag, which would you recommend, please?

20. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

House Beautiful has been a fave for 40 years Gila , but I have to confess I enjoy Traditional homes more the last few years . I used to get them all , but I cut out a bunch like Architectural digest , Elle Décor etc because while I love looking at stunningly expensive interiors , I finally admitted Im probably not going to have one at this point ! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted