Antique/Vintage Carousel Horse - Please help identifying!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MMarkussen, Mar 23, 2021.

1. MMarkussen

MMarkussen Member

Good afternoon all,

We have this beautiful solid wood carousel horse that we are looking for information about. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

horse.jpg
    horse3.jpg horse2.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Size? Is there a hole in front of the saddle? If he's legit, he's not from a FULL sized carousel.....What are you basing the "antique" status on....? He/it looks like he might have been either re-painted or he might not be that old....please wait for others to chime in.

Fid, Darkwing Manor and Houseful like this.
  3. MMarkussen

MMarkussen Member

There are two holes in the bottom (and the hole that the pole is in) with no hole in the top. Admittedly, I base the "vintage" part on that it was very old when my sister bought it at an antique sale in Southern Ontario approx 15 years ago and it has sat untouched since then. The tail is original (horsehair) as well (as far as I know). It has a fair amount of cracks here and there from drying out.

4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It appears to have no wear at all, even on the saddle area.

Tanya likes this.
  5. MMarkussen

MMarkussen Member

He's probably just under 5' tall :)

6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

In photo 2, the carving on the 3 rectangular cartouches/crests is not as precise as would be expected for an old item. The stain or paint is very consistent, and not worn; but it is applied in such a way as to give an impression of age; with the dark-brown consistently applied in all areas near raised carving. This is likely intended to give the impression of age, because such areas would accumulate dirt over time, in an old piece. But this is not dirt, but the stain or paint.
    And the raised areas, in an old piece, would show wear. I don't see any signs of actual wear.
    And the overall brownish color is not anything I recall from books on vintage carousel horses; and there are such books available; some people might advocate consulting such books before making an investment in a carousel horse- real vintage ones can be very expensive; and one would not expect a smart dealer to have overlooked that if the item was vintage; and it would have been priced appropriately if it was vintage. Carousel horses are well-enough known that one would not expect to come across a genuine old one at a bargain price.
    I'm afraid I'd vote for it being a new reproduction, décor item, not an actual old carousel horse; sorry.

7. MMarkussen

MMarkussen Member

Very true. Besides the cracks and bumps it looks like it was almost never used really; it could be very old new paint. Like I said, I know very little about it and need all the info I can find :)

8. MMarkussen

MMarkussen Member

Thank you very much. This info is very helpful! :)

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These are not uncommon imports. Originally from India. Likely now from China. Lots of decorative "Wow!" but not old.

Debora

Fid and Darkwing Manor like this.
  10. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

You might try contacting these folks for an opinion --
    https://www.carrouselmuseum.org/research.html
    -- but a response from them might take even longer than their site suggests, what with delays and short-staffing due to Covid. Authoritatively knowledgeable bunch, though.

kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the eye shape....cracking wood, painting and carving , all point to newer import.........or if not newer ....still import....imo

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    kyratango likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-3-23_14-30-19.jpeg

maybe it was a rocking horse.........

[​IMG]

Fid and MMarkussen like this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Darkwing Manor and kyratango like this.
  15. MMarkussen