Antique/vintage Carved Greek Like Statues Maybe Wood!

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Dec 4, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

SAM_9173.JPG I bought a storage at an auction and found several items including 2 sculptures,one is an antique hand carved maybe wood sculpture of "David?" after Michelangelo measure 47" tall,at one time look like someone tried to paint him but Don't know what happen carved so perfect,the woman I have no idea who she is but look greek,anybody have any information on this set,I don't see a signature.I had this set also on another forum but no answer,hope someone can help.Both are dirty,if there's a signature it's under the dirty part or overpainted. SAM_9437.JPG SAM_9444.JPG SAM_9443.JPG SAM_9172.JPG SAM_9170.JPG SAM_9177.JPG SAM_9185.JPG

i need help likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They could both be ceramic, terracotta.

judy and i need help like this.
  3. antiquelover69

I'm not sure,feel like wood,but hollow,soft.Not really hard but both are heavy.

4. antiquelover69

Both came out of 2 combined storage I bought at an auction 2 years ago.The former owner had many old pieces,furniture paintings,ect.He used to sell antiques I'm told until he got sick and retired.He lost it in the auction.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If they are hollow, I think terracotta.
    Probably garden statues. They would look very nice in a big garden, but the person who tried to paint the man should not be allowed near paint again.:D Maybe you can paint him white, like the lady.

Someone else on the forum will probably know more about them.

sabre123, i need help and judy like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is the only David by Michelangelo I know:

[​IMG]

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  7. Bronwen

The lady follows some of the conventions for depicting Venus but is a bit more covered up than is usual.

i need help and judy like this.
  8. antiquelover69

Yes it does look like David.That's what I throught but the lady has me stomped.You are right,whoever tried to paint it should never go near paint again.I asked a lot of questions because twice I've had items that was worth a lot.One I didn't know anything about,a painting in fact it was 2.I sold on Ebay for 450 together.The man sent me an email saying,"thank you for those wonderful painting,they were 16th century by a buddah priest with a prayer". I had an Icart was told it was nothing,found out it was the real drawing but I got paid because my friend finally looked at it and said it's real.But sadly she passed and now I getting on different forums asking questions.I paid 59.00 to Dr Lori and she never gave me any information just said around 200 for a painting.Nothing about the age or anything.

i need help likes this.
  9. Bronwen

I'm afraid the only way it looks like David is that they're both standing male nudes with a cloak slung over one shoulder. Otherwise they are quite different.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree, the only similarity to David is that both figures are shown in contrapposto. I'd call them classically-inspired.

Debora

Bronwen and antiquelover69 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted