Featured Antique/Vintage Carved Jade Weird Figure

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by antiquelover69, Jun 12, 2022.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what this little figure is,appears to be a frog with big eyes.Not sure,this came with a lot of jewelry I bought.It's dark jade carved into this little weird figure.Any idea what this is. SAM_6734.JPG SAM_6720.JPG SAM_6735.JPG

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

3. antiquelover69

Thanks so much! going to google it now!

KSW, judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

reasonably recently made..

5. antiquelover69

Found one! has the same wax red for eyes,translucent,appears to be a pendant.I found one like mine. Information from google: "The shape and elements of the two hei-tikis acquired by Wilkes were characteristic of others produced in the early nineteenth century They had a human-like face about one-third the size of the entire figure, arms and legs curved out to the sides with incised spaces, an exaggerated mouth and a fierce look (familiar to those who follow rugby because protruding tongues are part of the Haka ritual presented at the start of each game involving the New Zealand All Blacks and other Polynesian teams.Those acquired by Wilkes had red sealing wax for one or both eyes indicating that there was already considerable exchange between the Pakeha (non-Maori) who lived on or visited the island and the Maori who had shaped and worn these pendants.Translucent.

stracci, Pat Dennis and KSW like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

red eyes are one thing........not everything

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've had a few before, and they always sell well

Check this chit out, I've had a huge one before

13320.jpg

8. antiquelover69

Beautiful!!!!

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. antiquelover69

10. antiquelover69

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The basic style of the carving makes me think pre-1970, before the 'Maori art revival'. In those days the old carvers had passed away, and there were no colleges to teach the traditional Maori crafts. After the introduction of the Maori schools and colleges, quality improved. It is of a high standard now.
    Agree, red eyes only means it was made after the introduction of sealing wax. Which could also mean yesterday.;) Some people just paint them on.:)

Red eyes are not a given though.
    Below is one of mine, 8.2 cm/ 3.2” high, late 19th to early 20th century, so after the introduction of sealing wax but no red eyes:
    [​IMG]

12. antiquelover69

Thanks for information!

kyratango likes this.
  13. sylviaschoice

sylviaschoice Member

Hi, you have a wonderful hei-tikis . I just sold one on eBay:
    New Zealand Maori hand Carved Nephrite Jade Hei-Tiki pendant on hand Platted Cord with a loop and a Jade toggle. New Zealand Pounamu (nephrite jade). Highly Carved with lots of detail, by skilled artisan who specialize in working with jade.'Hei-tiki' pendant were worn by Maori Chiefs and warriors. Tiki shape which was respected as the teacher of all things and wearer of this symbol is therefore seen to possess clarity of thought, loyalty, great inner knowledge and strength of character.
    Sylvia
    Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 2.14.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 2.14.20 PM.png

Any Jewelry, stracci and kyratango like this.
  14. antiquelover69

Thanks sooo much! is it ok for me to use information

kyratango likes this.
  15. sylviaschoice

sylviaschoice Member

Sure! Enjoy. Sylvia

antiquelover69 likes this.
  16. antiquelover69

Great! Thanks you!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted