Antique/Vintage Cow Pottery,Nemadji? Desert Sand? Niloak?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, Oct 12, 2020.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I've had this pottery for years,I don't know much about it.I bought out a lot of items from estate sale.Look like an old cow planter,not sure if it's Nemadji,Desert Sand,Niloak. SAM_0464.JPG SAM_0465.JPG SAM_0466.JPG SAM_0467.JPG SAM_0470.JPG SAM_0474.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not resin...with those open air bubbles...?

judy likes this.
  3. antiquelover69

No not resin,I'm sure

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It doesn't appear, to me, to be any of those. Not Nemadji, because the different swirling colors produced by that factory were the result of pots being dipped in water vats with Pittsburgh Paint floating on the surface. All except the very first pots were made from molds.

While both Desert Sands and Niloak actually colored their clay with oxides, and then would throw it on a potter's wheel, they, especially Niloak made what is now considered Art Pottery. Although Niloak (a much larger enterprise than Desert Sands) later produced animal figures and items more in the "souvenir/gift shop" classification, their animals looked far more "refined," and nothing like this.''

There were many factories that tried to copy what Niloak was doing, and the process of working with mixed clay like this is hardly a secret...many hobby potters have tried it, as have small studio potters who produce for the souvenir/gift market.

Maybe someone who specializes more in this type of pottery will be able to identify who made it, but, at least with my rather limited experience with Art Pottery, I think you can eliminate those three possibilities.

verybrad, patd8643, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  5. antiquelover69

Thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted