Featured Antique/ vintage groups

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by April07, Aug 24, 2020.

1. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I have found this group that has some fascinating examples. Not sure why they describe some things as vintage though while they are clearly antique. Let's exchange links to interesting research (not sale) groups in social networks!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/352566505697426
    This group covers 8 eras of vintage pleasures including The Age of Enlightenment, Regency, Victorian/Edwardian, Gilded Age (America), Belle Epoque, Art Nouveau and Art Deco. Please post anything from these eras. Fashion, jewelry, decor, photos etc... The timeline is from Ca.1650-1939, please stay within these years or your posts may not be accepted.
    Owner - Debra Givens/ Laura Weston

Firemandk, Bronwen, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

please stay within these years or your posts may not be accepted.

Really..........then no thank you !;)

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I DON'T do facebook since I finally got off of it, but I did cruise over and took a look.....some interesting stuff and VERY interesting jewelry!!!!! NO sign in or anything.......just wanted to see......

April07, Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Agree, those strict rules happily don't apply here:joyful:
    I'm on 2 FB groups for identifying antique jewellery... They'd better forbidden silly posters who know nothing to firmly stating wrong opinions in their comments...:confused:

Figtree3, komokwa, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that April, I thorougly enjoyed that.
    I am not on Facebook or any other social network, so I can't share anything, but I loved seeing this.

Antiquers is my social network.:happy:

komokwa, April07, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

:wideyed::facepalm:
    So I guess you're not posting there anymore?

Bronwen, kyratango and judy like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wrong:joyful: I still post... and fight uneducated guesses showing proof!
    Latest one was a lady answering my comment about a 1920 cameo being shell when she said hard stone, she stated "shell depth don't permit such carving":facepalm:
    And she is Italian!:hilarious:
    After reading my links... She admitted evidence, lol!!!

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

As my niece said when she was little: "Oh my Dod".:hilarious:

judy, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I spent a few minutes enjoying the many postings but soon realized that people seem to mostly post stuff from the internet, not stuff that they actually owned or found. Somehow, that removes some of the excitement for me.

Joe2007, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Show her this one:

[​IMG]

Figtree3, judy, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

She'll say it is hardstone.:banghead:

Bronwen and judy like this.
  12. Bronwen

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Only occasionally check in on Facebook, not really my gig, but do keep in touch with some relatives and old friends. When I was posting in a couple of antiques groups, like Kyra, found a lot of ridiculous misinformation firmly stated as fact, petty personal battles, with a lot of general nastiness, and then someone started harassing me both there and here - the end of Facebook groups for me, and that person is gone from this site...

~Cheryl

kyratango, komokwa, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Same for me. I'm a collector for the thrill of discovering something cool and giving it a good home in my hoard until I decide sometime down the line to sell it to another collector who hopefully enjoys it as much as I do.

Scraping together a bunch of other people's finds and photos off the web to post on Facebook with no ownership of the item or photo isn't my cup of tea. Easy to get caught up in group think and just regurgitating stuff to be social.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    kyratango, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Bronwen

One of the ways I find the world splits into 2 groups is those who are certain more often than they are right, & those who are right more often than they are certain. This musing on FB makes me consider another dichotomy: those who think that if something interests them, it must surely be of interest to everyone else, and those who know better.

kyratango, komokwa, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've cut back in participating in many groups on Facebook... I just belong to some for photography collectors, some related to my genealogical research, and some related to the high school from which I graduated. (They have active groups, surprisingly!) I did belong to a couple of antique or vintage ones for a while, but there were too many posts to keep up. Facebook discussions generally go pretty quickly and I don't log in often enough to keep track. I'm not sure whether other social media sites have those sorts of groups?

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  17. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

That's the matter of what one prefers: owning, or seeing and learning. Both are fine, in my opinion.

bluumz, Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Siblye

Siblye Active Member

I’m in a group for Chinese (oriental) antique marks and they are very friendly and helpful https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChineseAntiquesmarks/?ref=share

I’m also in another antiques group that I wouldn’t recommend for reasons Cheryl stated...
    I think this is the best forum, nice knowledgeable people happy to share. Really glad I found it, thank you.

April07, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted