Featured Antique (vintage) Puppet Stage

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Michael Yoh, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

This probably handmade puppet stage has been in our family for at least two generations. Because we are closing an estate and no one has room for it, it has to go. It is 19"deep X 28" high X 48" long. There is a piece that lifts off at front of stage for lights maybe? Back comes off. I have no idea what it is worth, and can not find anything like it on EBAY, or forums. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. There are two puppets with it, maybe later vintage.

Thanks,
    Mike Yoh comet.jpg comet-2.jpg comet-3.jpg comet-4.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Think this would be of interest to toy collectors.
    Not something I am familiar with.

I also have never sold through an auction, so do not know the ins and outs.
    This is the link to the toy appraiser from Antiques Roadshow. Apparently getting ready for an auction.
    Not sure if it would be of interest or not.
    http://noelbarrett.com/

You might wait a day to see what others from our board have to say before contacting the auction.

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Those are marionettes, puppets are worn on the hand, marionettes are controlled by strings. I’d call it a marionette theater when looking for comparables being offered or sold.
    Without a painted or decorative backdrop and no architectural elements it may be limited in desirability.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What do "two generations" equate to in years?

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

A generation varies, right now it is considered to be about 25 years. Twenty years ago it would have been 20 years.

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you. But I was wondering what "two generations" meant in Michael's family specifically.

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

My Mom had it when she was a kid. Then passed to my sister. Don't know if it was new when Mom got it. She was born in 1921. So, I call it two generations.

SYNCHRONCITY and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So 1930s a possible date. That would be consistent with this. Could you post a photograph of the female marionette's dress and hair?

Debora

f46a36815722af6125cfb2c2efcc4378.jpg

10. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

Here are more close ups of the marionett IMG_0090.jpeg IMG_0089.jpeg IMG_0087.jpeg es.

Draft saved Draft deleted