Antique Walnut Dining Table and Hutch Set - Arman Manufacturing?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Fritzy, May 7, 2018.

1. Fritzy

Fritzy New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to find some information about a dining table and hutch set my mother-in law purchased at an auction about 40 years ago in Maryland. I know nothing about antiques, so I was happy to see this site with an active community of knowledgeable people and was hoping you could help me find more information about it, and perhaps suggestions on how to get it appraised.

I found a label on the bottom of the table that is a bit torn, but it looks like it says 'Arman?? Manufacturing' of Portland Oregon. I couldn't find a label on the Hutch. Does anyone have any information about this manufacturer or this dining room set? Several photos are included below.

Thanks!,
    -Fritz

20180507_100223 - Copy-640x480.jpg 20180507_100212 - Copy-640x480.jpg 20180507_100243 - Copy-640x480.jpg 20180507_100342 - Copy-640x480.jpg 20180507_100348 - Copy-640x480.jpg 20180507_100432 - Copy-640x480.jpg 20180507_100645 - Copy-640x480.jpg 20180507_102241 - Copy-640x480.jpg

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Fritzy!
    I’m sure some will come along with some ideas on your pieces.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1925 traditional revival or depression era furniture. Predominate style is based on William and Mary forms but not a true reproduction. Walnut veneers and solids stained to match. While I haven't heard of the maker, it doesn't really matter who made it. There were hundreds of makers making similar furniture at this time. Unfortunately, value is depressed on such furniture these days. In my Midwest location, would think under $500.00 on the set at retail. Quite a bit less at auction or other wholesale venue. The super nice refinished condition and a better location might net more for you than here.

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The label is missing the C for Carman Manufacturing. Early to mid-20th C, it appears. Using Carman in your search will bring up a number of entries about the company, including both public info on business transactions and other pieces people wanted to identify or sell.

5. Fritzy

Fritzy New Member

Thank you all for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Bakersgama - thanks for the details on the manufacturer. Now that I look at the label again, 'Carman' does make sense. When I googled the name, I only found one other similar item that sold for $350, and that was just the table - not the hutch (er, that's actually a 'buffet' not a 'hutch' isn't it?)

Verybrad - thanks for the details on the style, construction and potential value. Based on the similar item I found, looks like your appraisal is spot-on. I know we spent a lot more than that just refinishing it about 15 years ago :(, but we've enjoyed it while we've had it :). It's a very cool piece, but it's time for a change.

Huntingtreasure - thanks for the welcome to the forums! You were right - someone did come along to help!

I may post it on Craigslist to see if there is some potential interest, or I may be donating it to a local charity. Thanks again for the help everyone! FYI - I'm in the Los Angeles area - near Pasadena if you are interested :)

-Fritz

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, is and often called a "sideboard" as well.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted