Antique Wingback seating Pair - Period anyone?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tom Turner, Jul 6, 2019.

?

I am having trouble dating these chairs - they have been upholstered.

1. 18th century

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 19th century

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 20th century

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

2. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Hi everyone, This is my first post and my hobby is antiques and collectables. These chairs have castors which are brass at the rear and ceramic to the front. They are also different chairs underneath the same fabric. Can anyone help date them please?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hi, Tom, and welcome! Someone more knowledgable about furniture than I will come along shortly and... ask for more photographs in order to assist you.

Debora

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome. Interesting they tried to get them to look like a pair. I have two Lincoln drape Aladdin lamps that I do the same thing with. Most people don't notice, but they are really dissimilar.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hard to date pieces that have been reupholstered. Based on the lack of detail to the feet, I am thinking 20th century. Could be as early as the teens or as late as the 50s

KikoBlueEyes, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  6. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

IMG_1034.jpg IMG_1035.jpg IMG_1036.jpg IMG_1037.jpg IMG_1038.jpg IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1041.jpg IMG_1043.jpg IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    Thank you for your reply - I have been previously told Edwardian

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Queen Anne style, 20th century

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Tom and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!! With the "bones" of your chairs so thoroughly covered up, it would be hard to tell, unless your upholsterer took pictures while 'he' had it stripped down!! That being said, the two most prolific guys here have just given their opinions above.....can't add to that!!!

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Casters are pretty old. Since they are different from each other, think probably one type is a replacement. Same on both chairs? Another thought; maybe two casters from each chair used per chair to have them match. Either way, think these put these to earlier rather than later in 20th century. This would fit with Edwardian period.

judy likes this.
  10. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Thank you all for your welcome and excellent contribution. Its good to know the period. The casters are a close match on both chairs however not the same, however both have the brass at the rear and ceramic at the front. I will consider all this with the offer I have had for them. I feel I am getting low balled.

Jaena and judy like this.
  11. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

personally i would like to see how the front legs on the left hand chair are attached under the burlap sack.

12. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

13. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Hi Alex,
    I am reluctant to remove the hessian base however I can report that the feet are part of a frame that runs the front of the seat base.

14. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

hi tom

the issue i have found with these chairs is that from the feet up your chair has exact mates on christies and sothebys listed as james 11. your dutch feet i have seen on pieces from 1720. anyone can add wheels at any time. it depends on what it looks like up inside. does it look like a man with modernish tools made it or does it look really rough like a pet beaver was the main tool? is there a roughly shaped quarterroundish block on either side of the leg. are there screws or nails.
    they can be worth a fortune or just a little. yours i would have looked at closer myself just in case.

peace

SBSVC likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    What the measurements from the floor to the bottom of the rail? Around 17 inches is the norm now. Remember the really old ones are much closer to the floor since people were shorter then.
    greg

16. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Thanks Alex - I will be beavering away tomorrow to investigate further. T

17. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

These are 7 inches at the rear and 8 inches at the front. Its a low seating position but rather comfortable.

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Have to think they are a lot older than I first thought. Thank you for the measurements.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted