Featured Antique with red velvet frame back. Any idea of the value?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Dita, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Dita

Dita New Member

20191124_163339.jpg

20191124_163357.jpg

20191124_163409.jpg

Dear all,

I know here are many people with unbelievable expertise, please help newbie to understand what could be the value?

Much appreciated,
    Dita

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Dita. Please click on Edit below your original post, then More Options and change the selection next to each of your pictures from Thumbnail to Full Image. The way they are currently displayed is too small.

3. Dita

Dita New Member

Thank you for advice!! I hope it is ok now.

Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And please post a close-up of what appears to be a signature in the left hand corner.

Debora

5. Dita

Dita New Member

I`m afraid that is the clearest photo I currently have

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Back looks like is says: Il Baciamano

Check out the works of:
    Pietro Longhi

[perhaps a later copy by unknown artist, if this is a Longhi piece. I have not found it.]

If you're using an iPhone, you can enable a magnifier that will allow you to zoom in on the sig and take a better photo. You can look up the instructions online.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re title. Makes sense -- The Hand Kiss -- given scene. Inspired by Longhi perhaps. Bit of a pastiche. He's dressed in Georgian clothing and she's wearing Victorian (with Georgian flourishes.) Suspect old tyme decorative painting rather than real old time. If I had to guess, I'd think 1st half 20th century. But others may disagree (strongly.)

Debora

8. Dita

Dita New Member

This is very interesting, and I`m amazed by the amount of detail you are able to tell from photos.
    If I was to explore an option to sell it, what would be the best route?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

This is under glass, correct?
    Perhaps not a painting.

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Dita

Dita New Member

Very good point. Would you know if it is common for likewise pieces (considering its quite old, quality of frame - especially back of the frame) to be prints rather than originals? Any thoughts and advice is highly appreciated.

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These things are decorator trade things, 1920's prints and quite often photos on glass of scenes in the same sensibility. Made for the same market as the piano key miniatures.

Ghopper1924, i need help and Dita like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

We need more and close up photos, to know what’s what.

I would think a print of some type, is likely.

Agree with Blooey, decorative. I do like the frame, but can say I know much about it. :)

Ghopper1924 and Dita like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is a 70s reproduction of an antique frame with a print inside. I don't see true Victorian age.

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

That was my first impression, too. If so, minimal value.
    Close-ups needed!

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The label, upon which is written a title that could describe the painting, is written in fountain pen.

Debora

16. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Just checking in on this thread and saw this reply. I hope I didn't get your hopes up with my earlier post, in terms of a value. I was focusing purely on artist identification, not on it being an actual work *painted* by the artist. I should have been more clear.

Does seem older than 1970s to me, but I may not be the best judge in that realm.

i need help and Dita like this.
  17. Dita

Dita New Member

I will get my hands on it within next couple days, so will be able to upload more photos. Don`t worry about getting my hopes up, I`m very much enjoying the process of understanding what exactly this could be (of course value would not be bad thing but I`m being very realistic and just enjoying art).
    Thank you all!!

komokwa and i need help like this.
  18. Dita

Dita New Member

19. Dita

Dita New Member

Hello all.
    I hope you are well. just uploaded more photos.
    From the inspection of the piece, it was surprisingly light, the frame (especially the back) feels very old, but maybe because there is fair bit of wear on the frame and the velvet edge on the front has become quite hard not as soft as I imagined it being. Also the red textile at the back has hardened over time. The glass cover of the actual picture is not flat, but more like lens type (thicker in the middle). The actual work looks like print as it appears very smooth.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As before... decorative piece from first half 20th century.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted