Antique wooden butter mold

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Alexia, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Alexia

Alexia New Member

DF6C3FE2-3C2E-4953-B5E6-7D84CC4F9C3E.jpeg I don’t know if I’m in the right forum to post this as the categories did not fit this item. I found this old butter mold at a garage sale in Sweden (or ”loppis”, as they are called). I’m curious about the decade it might have been made. It’s extremely thick and heavy, solid wood and well-used. It’s a very long piece, about a foot and a half long, 4 inches high. I’m including close-ups of the details. Thanks in advance!

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Looks like a speculaas mold for biscuits.

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look exactly like Dutch/Belgian speculaas molds. Here is one with a similar windmill to the one on yours:
    speculaas.jpg
    Speculaas cookies next to a mold:
    [​IMG]
    Another mold, there are countless designs and sizes:
    [​IMG]

They are generally made from beech or oak wood. They are still being made and used, although not as much as they used to. Yours look old but not antique.

If the Swedish use them for butter, they would need a big and long chunk of butter.;)

Lucille.b, anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  4. Alexia

Alexia New Member

Ah thanks. It’s hard for me to tell the difference between butter or cookie molds because they often look similar (to me, anyway!) I know virtually nothing about them, which is why I was wondering what era it might be from. At any rate I have it hanging in my kitchen now and it’s beautiful!

5. Any Jewelry

A perfect kitchen decoration! My mother used to have them on the kitchen wall as well, alongside antique Dutch sugar molds, which look similar only much smaller and double sided.

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

James Conrad and judy like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

mmmmmmmmm, cookies....

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted