antique wooden chair carved marshmallow shaped seat

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mugzinnys, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

they are approximately 3 1/2" - 4" tall

are these chair antique? This set of 3 chairs are on sale are they a good investment.
    do anyone recognize the style, maker, region of the manufacturer
    thanks 20170830_095305.jpg 20170830_095312.jpg 20170830_095319.jpg 20170830_095325.jpg 20170830_095340.jpg 20170830_095358.jpg 20170830_095415.jpg 20170830_095455.jpg

Ghopper1924 and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They are antique. I would think late 19th century. Likely European in origin. (French? Belgium?). Too bad there isn't a 4th. I would say very few antiques are a good investment these days.

yourturntoloveit and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Mugzinnys

thanks, verybrad furniture is not my thing but the fellow wanted 10 apiece for them and a light went off then another light went off saying where you going to store them. and then you have everyone saying brown furniture is out. thanks again verybrad

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Needing upholstery, I wouldn't touch them despite the bargain price. The market just isn't there unless you re-upholster them. Once you do so, the profit is not there to justify the work. It is an unfortunate reality. I just hope that somewhere someone is hoarding good quality antique chair frames for the future. I know we are losing tons of them right now. It is a shame to lose them but I can't be that person.

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

For $10 apiece Id have drug those home and used them SOMEWHERE !They are so pretty !

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Mugzinnys, is that chair a "miniature"??? (going by the dimensions in your first line of description), but then that would mean all the items around them in the photos would be "miniatures" too. ;)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've never heard it called a "marshmallow" seat before, but it makes sense.

8. Mugzinnys

Well, johnnycb09 I went back and got them they were still there. yourturntoloveit I will pick them up tomorrow I will have the true measurements tomorrow. Bev aka fhelmasstuff that came from my memory of sitting on a sponges, mushy soft round seat. That makes me as green as it comes when it comes to furniture.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Good for you ! They are so pretty,enjoy them for what they are. :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Sad that they are not worth anything but I'm glad you bought them. They deserve to be used and loved.

11. Mugzinnys

The chairs are 35 1/2" tall. Does that make them miniatures?

12. Mugzinnys

These are the 3 worthless chairs that I fell in love with. I will save these from the trash heap I think they are worth it. Any help with IDing them would be appreciated. I am Really interested in finding out the country of origin and the type of wood?
    Thanks 20170902_142012.jpg 20170902_142202.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted