Antique wooden chair, what is it?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by lucas, Jul 25, 2021.

1. lucas

lucas New Member

thumbnail_IMG_3264.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3265.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3266.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3267.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3268.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3269.jpg Hi there,
    Recently I have purchased a very interesting very old chair. While I love how it looks and plan to keep it, I would like to learn more details about the chair. Unfortunately the tag is worn too much, so cannot do research based on it. Would anyone know what brand that is, who made it, or any detail that would point me the right direction in order to find more details about that unique piece. I have attached images for reference.
    Thank you much for any info on it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2021
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It's an old oak swivel desk/banker's chair by Murphy in, sadly, pretty poor-looking condition.

EDIT: A better-looking one (something for it to aspire to):

[​IMG][​IMG]

judy, Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and 3 others like this.
  3. lucas

lucas New Member

Thank you much for you response, appreciate it

judy and bluumz like this.
  4. lucas

lucas New Member

Would you perhaps by chance know date period of that chair, by doing initial research it appears like late 19th, would you agree?

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

A9DA1494-D585-4750-9E0A-C94C3A378035.jpeg This is the Maker. Disregard the number on this label.

6. lucas

lucas New Member

Excellent, thank you

i need help likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It should have caster wheels. You should be able to pick some up. Would defer to others on repairing the finish.

judy likes this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@lucas
    There was a Murphy Chair company in Detroit from the time period that you suggest but it may be unrelated (I'm finding conflicting info) to the Owensboro, KY Murphy company, which made your chair. Very brief googling seems to indicate the Owensboro company started around 1919 but, with some time and effort, you may find out differently.
    EDIT: Now finding that the Murphy company was not located in Owensboro until 1915., and it was indeed an extension of the Detroit company.

"Furniture World, vol. 50 Towse Pub. Co., 1919

Detroit, Mich., Dec. 8. The Furniture World, .

New York, N. Y

Gentlemen:

In response to your communication of December 6th, just received, we do not confirm the fact that we have sold out our business entirely, but it is a fact that we have sold our manufacturing plant here in Detroit to Everett Brothers, builders of automobile bodies. On January 1 we will discontinue manufacturing chairs here and will then confine the manufacture of chairs to our plant at Owensboro, Ky.. which plant we have been operating now during the past four years. We started in with a small line and low production at Owensboro but during the period it has been operating there has been a notable 'increase in the production. At the present time we are manufacturing approximately one-third of our present line there. We will add considerably to . the equipment and will be in a position to take cure of the trade that we have been handling during the past years. Of course, we will discontinue manufacturing office chairs and this will cut off temporarily a part of the list of dealers we have ,been looking after for many years. It is our intention to gradually work into this line again, when our Owensboro plant produces a sufficient quantity of other chairs of varied description to meet the demand.

We expect to maintain our general offices and a warehouse here in Detroit to look after the trade in this section. Trusting that this is the information you desire, we are,

Yours very truly,

MURPHY CHAIR CO."

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted