Antique Wooden Doll Cradle help on dating

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Jul 30, 2020.

1. annea

annea Member

Somewhere in the 1800's I am guessing on dating by the paint and square nails. Can anyone help to narrow down the most likely date on this piece. About 17" long doll sized cradle. Wood type? Thanks for any help on this. doll cradle full.JPG doll cradle bottom.JPG doll cradle bottom.JPG doll cradle cl.JPG

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i would think something that old...would have carving or painting or some design....
    it looks more utilitarian ...1930's or 40's to me...........
    but i'm not a doll collector............so..?

lloyd249, James Conrad and judy like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'm with komokwa, Great Depression years from 1929-1939. Daddy/Grandpa made it for a special little girl from scraps he had handy. Made with lots of love. :)

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Me, I'm thinking earlier....more towards mid to late 1800s............

Any Jewelry, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm with Aquitaine. It wouldn't surprise me if the craftsman were German or of German descent.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am going with 20th century as well, non-professional home shop type dealio.
    I would note the "square nails" are not really square, they are rectangular and are still used today installing tongue & groove hardwood flooring among other uses. Most refer to these as "cut nails"
    "Cut nails are made by shearing stock metal with a machine. ... Cut nails aren't just ordinary nails, however. Also known as square nails, they feature a blunt tip. They are called “cut nails” because they are cut on all four sides, resulting in the formation of a blunt tip."

7. annea

annea Member

Sold as a primitive piece from 1800's with the original red and then mustard colored paint on top. Wondering now. What does the wood grain look like it is made from?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Pine, agree with the primitive description, 19th century might be a stretch.
    What are they asking for it?

9. James Conrad

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

11. Ghopper1924

I've got no problem with a mid-19th century date on this. However, I imagine this type of vernacular form was made for many decades and passed down.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Family piece here...33 inches long. Decent provenance to the 1850's from Indiana. IMG_6447.jpg IMG_6446.jpg

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and Fid like this.
  13. Ghopper1924

There you go!

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

decent provenance from the 1980s....:)

15. James Conrad

Well, in the photo it looks to me like round head wire nails and, if that's the case, I question the 1850 date. More likely 1900 or after.

"By 1886, 10 percent of the nails produced in the United States were made of soft steel wire. Within six years, more steel-wire nails were being produced than iron-cut nails. By 1913, 90 percent were wire nails. Cut nails are still made today,"

komokwa likes this.
  16. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Comparing annea's primitive, doll cradle to the child size one Iowa Jayhawk posted is rather like comparing apples to oranges.

komokwa likes this.
  17. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Silly pants!

Fid likes this.
  18. annea

annea Member

Thanks for everyone's comments on this piece. Wondering if the paint colors used help any to date it?

19. James Conrad

No, not the colors, the composition of the paint itself would but, to have a paint analysis done would cost more than the piece is worth.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted