Featured Antiquers: Share Your Favorite Purchase Of 2018

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hello Folks,

2018 is nearly in the record books. Please post your favorite purchase (or purchases) of the year and tell us something about it.

Now lets enjoy some eye candy!

2. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

This is one of the best finds for me in 2018, a set of eight solid mahogany dining chairs. They are Regency era from the 1820s. I picked them up at a goodwill for a steal!! I did sell them online for 4500.00. :) regency-mahogany-klismos-dining-chairs-set-of-8-0464.jpg regency-mahogany-klismos-dining-chairs-set-of-8-2034.jpg regency-mahogany-klismos-dining-chairs-set-of-8-5173.jpg

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It was a year of getting rid of stuff for me. But I did buy some prints (maybe too many). This is a favorite called "The Old Mill" engraved by John Cousen (1804 – 1880) after a painting by Meindert Hobbema (1638 – 1709) (image size : 8 3/4" by 10 3/4"):
    z.jpg

And this biscuit tin (2 1/2" high, 4 7/8" long) patterned after a snuffbox in the V&A:
    za.jpg

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My favorite has to be this wood block. Not because I really liked it, but because how much my friend did. It was one of his family's Hanukkah gifts this year - the Queensboro bridge of 59th Street Bridge Song fame. DSCF0170.JPG

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Beautiful chairs, great find, and great price you got for them!

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Mine would have to be this enormous Riihimäki vase - cut/engraved by Aimo Okkolin in 1946. 41046602194_4b0adac728_kdev.jpg

Haven't wanted to let it out of my sight so it's been keeping me company in my office since I found it in April. (There's a thread on it in the glass forum if you want to know more about it.)

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's been a year of don't buy this & don't buy that...so I have no new treasures to speak of.............. that said I got married....so I bought a ring for her.... only two ever made...& the other is in London , with a diamond instead of a sapphire.
    My best purchase this year.......
    IMG_3996.JPG

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The best treasure of all, I'd say.:happy: Congratulations!:kiss:
    And a lovely ring, gorgeous cornflower blue.

9. Any Jewelry

Where is yours, Joe?

cxgirl, komokwa, i need help and 6 others like this.
  10. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Considering I haven't been actively purchasing this year except from a select few people, I think I still did ok this past year. One of my favorites would be this Theresienthal Glassworks .5 liter beer stein with a cut star and thumbprint design.

[​IMG]

The best part about it is it's a 20 year service mug from 1892 inscribed to a Lt. E. Mayer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Congratulations Komokwa!

Lovely ring! Love the blue!

komokwa, i need help, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice to see these goodies. I didn't buy anything to show as my place is filled to the gills.

Congrats again Komo.

13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

So hard to keep it to a short list!

1. Rookwood Pottery Box - I just love the oriental look of this piece and I got a great bargain too.
    rookwood box 1.jpg

2. Large Roseville Blackberry Vase - One of Roseville's most desirable patterns with collectors, most pieces of Blackberry are small and the large pieces such as this one are scarce.
    roseville pottery - large blackberry vase.jpg

3. Postcard Lot (approx. 1000 cards, not all pictured) Probably my best "deal" of the year and I really enjoy studying the images and organizing my growing collection/hoard.
    postcard stack 1.jpg

14. Any Jewelry

I love it too. And the dragon seems to be holding a few boxes of its own.;)

Zinnie, komokwa, i need help and 6 others like this.
  15. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

the best pick of 2018 of mine is Japanese Hirado Komainu/Foo Dog Circa 1900-1940s

20181206-016-3.jpg

16. Any Jewelry

I noticed it in your avatar picture, it is gorgeous!

17. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

yes,this one become my most favorite one of all my collections,fall in love with it,:p

18. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

For me it was my Seibei Komai box. I was very happy that I was able to help it find its way back home. Sold back to its origin, Japan.

[Edit] I nominated @komokwa for best find of the year.

594DFEBC-A91D-4B14-A271-E937B1C25652.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  19. Any Jewelry

Wonderful!

20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Whoa Congratulations! Hard to top that for sure!

I've been trying to eliminate and organize this year so I've not purchased much. I'm trying to move and organize things differently so I can put down new flooring:rolleyes:. It's a slow go.

I did pick up this little birds-eye maple piece that I couldn't resist. It has what I guess are evil swan heads though look rather like angry snakes:eek:.

upload_2018-12-12_8-58-52.png

upload_2018-12-12_8-51-11.png

Draft saved Draft deleted