Featured Antiques Roadshow correction...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DragonflyWink, May 10, 2016.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

oooopsno :p
    ~
    Not sold I gather.
    ~
    That person needs to get hot making those if they're that good and with a date that can't be fudged.

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I wondered when this was gonna show up here :p I read it online few hours ago.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Wouldn't it be nice if the owner had sold it to the appraiser for the original price:D

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Whoa, doggies!!!! From the website Cheryl (Dragonflywink) shared above, it appears that the appraiser was affiliated with Skinner of Boston.

Do any others here see a "(fairly) strong resemblance" between the now-known artist's face/facial structure/expression and some of the pieces of her work arrayed in front of her?

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the owner had it insured for the appraisal valuation for the past year. Well that would be some money down a rat hole, so to speak.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I've caught two mistakes from them. Skinner's made a mistake on my appraisal for an antique set of coral jewelry. They said it was authentic coral dating from the late 1800s. The date was right but the coral was celluloid.

They appraised a porcelain set for $500 which I knew was outrageously low. I did some of my own research and sent it to Christie's where it sold for 10 times Skinner's appraisal.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how does he have the nerve to value it now at 3 to 5 thousand ??

It's a fine work....but...???

9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

That's an overpriced Californian interior design store -price.

You know, one of those places where everything costs 10 times more because rich and (stupid?) people pay that.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

and if they're willing to pay that overinflated price, you're more than happy to sell it to them?(LOL) It's a great jug, but I'd think the $300 original price is about the going rate.

11. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

That is my cousin Gina's job , she is an interior designer to the stars ,she had a store called Gina's by the sea or bay i think it was, in Sana Monica cal. , she has done Bono's house, and Eddie van halen's , so much money i can't even phantom that .
    She has told me she has Daniel Craig's pants from the bond movie and wants $100.000 for them so she won't put them on ebay .

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Where do I get in on that gig?(LOL)

13. lloyd249

i can ask her if she still has them,but it was about 3 years ago

14. lloyd249

she still lives there selling high priced art lol
    she was dating the producer of Hanna Montana , i tried to get her to send me an autograph , she said she would get me a script , was the best she could do , but it never happened.

15. lloyd249

she loves my chair but can't help me with it oh well we aren't that close as my family moved across the country when i was 6 , we are both born on the exact same day dec 17 1959 i think there is a story about us but i haven't been able to find it , i did a search for cousins born on same day.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my cousin and i share the same birthday...different years...

17. lloyd249

ya that is quite common, but just as awesome tho lol get to wish each other hbd my sisters is dec 16 but 15 years apart also

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  18. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

19. lloyd249

i think with what they had, they made a decision it was wrong but hey we all make mistakes and if the truth hadn't been found we would still think it was right at 30/50,000, and give it some time it might get there ,(after all the hype) lol

20. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

True dat. Fair enough. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted