Featured Any Antique Paperweight Experts Here?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

Hi, all! I have what I think is an antique paperweight. It appears similar to a St. Louis paperweight I found in a book. However, I saw that it looks like Baccarat did similar designs. The bottom of this paperweight is concave with a thin ring around that has quite a bit of wear. There's a line of white in the pink background. Would this be considered a flaw? What do you think? It's standard size about 3 1/2" x 2" tall.

Thanks for looking!

Juli

AntiquePaperweight.jpg
    AntiquePaperweight1.jpg
    AntiquePaperweight2.jpg AntiquePaperweight5.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that pink ground colour being St Louis or Baccarat. The white casing line is fine, not an issue. Meant to be a gentian, I think. Certainly has some age.

There's an excellent paperweight group over on Facebook, Paperweight Collector's Circle. I'd post it there, see what they think. Several members know the 19th C weights.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Yes--surely has some age to it ...and I think it is a Clematis (maybe Dahlia)..unsure about maker, though not leaning towards St.Louis or Baccarat.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  5. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thank you so much! I will look into the other collector's site.

Appreciate the help.

Juli

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. janettekay

Adding....do not think it is of St.Louis or Baccarat quality..

judy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Leaves are all wrong for clematis and dahlia, and the colour isn't a dahlia. ;)

I agree on the quality.

George Nesmith, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. janettekay

The paperweight world plays kind of loose with flower ID's ;) and this type is sometimes referred to as clematis or dahlia among others !! and there are examples of blue "Dahlias " in catalogs...;)

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Are the bubbles inside making you think it is of lesser quality than St. Louis or Baccarat? Trying to learn what details to look for...

Thanks! :)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. janettekay

I personally do no like the "casing line" or the shade of pink coloring...neither look right to me as coming out of either companies . Random bubbles are not uncommon in some older weights so that is not alone a concern.
    This is all just my opinion. While I have many paperweights, I do not collect antique ones so not an expert !!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. busryde

busryde Active Member

I found a pic of a very similar paperweight in a book that was attributed to the Boston & Sandwich Glass Co. The caption from my book states "Sandwich blue poinsettia on red and white jasper ground".

pw_help.jpg

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of scratches, but is there any chance there's a signature where I've circled? It almost looks like there could be.
    img0 (279).jpg

judy and patd8643 like this.
  13. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thanks for the responses! No, there's no signature. It's all scratches. Update on the size: it is actually 2 1/2" x 1 3/4" if that makes a difference.

It appears that a lot of makers used this basic flower petal design. However, the pink ground does not appear to be common. I don't know if that makes this a rarity or a more contemporary oddity. I did separate searches in images by using "clematis", "dahlia", "pink", and "Boston Sandwich" paperweight and still can't find anything like it. There was another different flower paperweight with a pink ground similar to mine by Charles Kaziun, Jr. And, the bottom of the paperweight had a similar concave shape as mine. But, that's the closest I could find. As far as I can tell there's no "K" cane nor "K" on the bottom. I'm stumped!

I don't do Facebook but I did post on another board that looked pretty active until I posted MY message yesterday! LOL. I may have to "do" Facebook for a bit just to see if I can get an answer on this one.

Thanks again. If you have anything other thoughts or leads, please let me know!

Juli

judy, cxgirl and SBSVC like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

nice paperweight Juli:)
    post to the glass message board in the paperweight section, someone there will know who/when/where it was made. Most of the posters are from across the pond so expect a bit of time before you receive a response:)
    https://www.glassmessages.com

15. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thanks, cxgirl! That's the spot I did post it to yesterday. Hopefully, someone will recognize it.

Juli

judy, cxgirl and SBSVC like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

17. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

I got an answer! I emailed the proprietor of this website: http://www.paperweights.com/paperweights/poinsettia.htm with links to my pictures and he said that it was made by New England Glass Company. He also wants me to let him know if I plan on selling it. :)

So, busryde, you weren't far off!

Thanks all!

Juli

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is great news Juli:)

19. janettekay

Great!!!! And just an FYI...Allan Port has been in the paperweight business for a very long time and considered very knowledgable in the field.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  20. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thanks, Janettekay.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted