Any asian crafts experts here?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Pedro Santos, Sep 19, 2016.

?

Who much is it worth?

1. Under 100us$

2. 100us$

3. Over 100us$

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pedro Santos

Pedro Santos Marchand and collector

I found this burner for sale recently, but this is really out of my comfort zone.
    I really like it. Does any one have an Idea about the age and value of this item?
    They are asking 100us$ for it.
    Thank you.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg l_125019352.jpg l_2077876327.jpg

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I can't help you on reading the markings or value of this incense burner. The dragon with ball is a common motif from Tibet, China, Korea to Japan, etc. Dragons holding/protecting a ball that yas represented the sun, moon, a round pearl of wisdom, good luck, etc. is in the Buddhism and Taoism religions.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/ddl/ddl12.htm
    https://wyrmflight.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/the-dragons-pearl/

The following website is called "The Incense Burner Virtual Museum." It had several dragon motif burners with at least 2 of them with lids of dragons and ball. on a quick look at bronze and brass burners saw 2 that were (20th century) reproductions. None of them have much info.

This is the home page of the the site. You might look through the following: click "Material" > "Metal" > "Bronze" and the "Brass.." The pics are thumbnails, click them for larger pics.
    http://www.kandaki.com/BP-Index.php

The 2 I found most similar to yours were listed under the material brass.

Item #69
    Origin: China Incense: Cone Shape: Pot : Dragon Material: Brass
    Period: 2000 Location: Asian IdeasDotcom Inc
    Description: This ceremonial burner is a reproduction of Southeast Asian vessels that were traditionally used in Buddhist rituals to ward off evil spirits. Constructed from solid brass, this three-footed burner features dragons all around, including its handles. 7" length X 5.5" width X 6" height.

Item #345
    Origin: China Shape: Pot : Dragon Material: Brass
    Period: 20th Location: Fine Kimono, Japanese Antiques & Collectibles
    Description: A gorgeous brass cast incense burner portraying two dragons on the lid protecting a magical green ball and the sides also embellished with raised dragon designs. The handles are in a shape of a dragon's head and the three legs in a shape of a beast's face. Size W:6", H:6", D:5" Weight 38 oz

--- Susan

Pedro Santos likes this.
  3. Pedro Santos

Thank you Susan that was a great help.
    The burner is no mine yet but I'm considering to get it ;)
    Regards
    Pedro

4. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Looks to me a bit old made with the shining parts . Including that there's not much traces off wear on the foots . If real and old it's a good deal for that price but check very good

Pedro Santos likes this.
  5. Pedro Santos

cxgirl and bobsyouruncle like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's the kind of thing that if you like it and are keeping it, go for it. If you're planning to resell, $10-20 is about the max you should shell out.

Pedro Santos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted