Any assistance in finding out if this is old Chinese bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Jul 11, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I have this bowl and would appreciate any comments about it. I know what I see. Picked up at an online auction some time ago and do not know a think about it except I read and which can be false of course. The closest I could find was that it could be a Snake's eye foot? Don't know what that means. Or is that Japanese? 81E073E0-E0B1-480B-A7EE-94BDDAFDDAFF.jpeg F68A0C05-42E9-428E-86B9-F2D93832487D.jpeg 81CB371E-FA7D-46A8-BCF9-0E70531B03B0.jpeg
    From the mid 1700's through the Meiji period plates, bowls and especially "soba choko" were made with the snake's eye foot known as "Jya no me Kodai" (蛇の目高台). Although this style of foot declined after the early 20th century, it was still used through the war to some extent. There are even some still made especially modern soba choko.

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Were you quoting the above from on online site? Meiji is Japanese, not Chinese.

judy, Any Jewelry and laura9797 like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Citation of source is always a good idea. ;)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. alynnfin

Yes I looked and that was the closest I could find. Not sure what any of it was so was why I was asking. Thanks. So you do think it is Snake's Eye pottery? Any idea of any value?

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Snake eye is not a type of pottery, it only refers to the shape of the base. It is a base with a sunken circular bit in the middle, like the pupil of an eye. It is just a Japanese technical term.
    So in the case of your bowl it has what would be called a snake eye base or foot in Japanese terms.

DizzyDaff and Bakersgma like this.
  7. alynnfin

Thank you. Any suggestions where I could look for more info? I looked all through the Japanese section of Gotheberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted