Featured Any chance Moser had pattern names?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Nov 12, 2018.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

This came up on another thread, and it was suggested I take it to Glass Message Board, but no response. I found a set of three in green with this pattern on 1st dibs with an insane price of $34,000. Oh, sorry - $33,086.80 per set :)

Late 19th Century, a Set of Three Bohemian Vases Made for the Islamic Market

They didn't identify a pattern or if it was Moser. Based on the piece with a paper tag that came up the other day, I'm thinking maybe it is Moser - but please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe someone knows the real maker.

Since it's a single and used as a lamp it's not worth an astronomical amount of $$ - I'd just like to know more about it, if possible. I assume if it's not attributable to Moser, it at least came from around the same time. Thanks so much.

Screenshot 2018-10-31 15.12.33.png

MoserPersianFull.jpg

MoserPersianTop.jpg
    MoserPersianBottom.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    patd8643, Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

3. scoutshouse

Thank you @cxgirl

The cut to work is beautiful - but the gilding lays on top of the opalescent white in such a way, it's very difficult to describe.

I do have an account, but don't use it much. Do you go on there a lot?

I'd love it if you'd ask! Really nice of you to offer. I can provide better images...

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@scoutshouse I posted and have received a reply, posted below:) I just noticed you mention one with a paper tag, do you have a link to that one?
    most likely not moser. (I've yet to see one of these positively identified as moser) \but it is a 18- 50's 60's vase that was made into a lamp. I don't think this is for the islamic market. i think it was just the style.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. scoutshouse

Ist antiquers thread Two Glass Beakers

Led to this ebay item Vintage BOHEMIAN CZECH MOSER White Cased Glass cut to Ruby Decanter

[​IMG]

With sticker
    [​IMG]
    Led me to think mine may have had a sticker to begin with...

What's the explanation or common wisdom of that style, produced 50 years earlier than the Islamic/persian pieces made for the Islamic market around 1900?

A guess on even the flower would be so nice...

Did you show them the set from 1st dibs? I can provide better images if you need them later tobight - dang, you're fast, @cxgirl!

i need help and cxgirl like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I don't believe that is a Moser label in that listing, here are examples of marks and labels from Great Glass:) that listing doesn't make sense, they says GDR but it clearly say Czech on the label.

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass notes/markm-m.htm

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  7. scoutshouse

Thanks - I'm often looking at these things on my phone. I thought loetz might be in the running, but that doesn't look like that label, either - wth is that label? :)

Is it worth taking apart to see if it's marked? The harp isn't easily removable and I was thinking I'd take it apart - which means wiring, too - just to ship it.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be Loetz. I'm not sure it will be marked on the bottom of the glass, so I don't know if you would want to take the base apart. The harp looks like it should come off easily if you slide those two little pieces up.

9. scoutshouse

Again THANKS @cxgirl!

I did find a vase on ebay with the same pattern and it does have a mark. Just a production mark, but might help? It's pretty worn and about 3 inches shorter.

Screenshot 2018-11-14 18.27.28.png

Screenshot 2018-11-14 18.27.41.png
    It's not put together that way. The harp slides into channels on either side that are crimped, or at least too tight at the moment to slide out.

I was still wondering, did they get to see the examples from 1st Dibs?

i need help and cxgirl like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

very nice to find one with a mark:) I'll post it to see if someone knows - will update you
    I did mention about the ones on 1st dibs, but you can't post links to selling sites

i need help likes this.
  11. scoutshouse

Can you post the images? I can give you screen shots?

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  12. scoutshouse

I copied the image location here.

BTW, you're the best!

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

posted and answered already:) unfortunately without a line drawing not a definitive id/maker, but a list of possibilities that could be added to a description. She favours Harrach as a possibility because they had the largest output but...
    here is what Alisa said -
    this arabic key and this style of gold work wasn't unique to anyone. it was very much all the style for a good 20 years.
    but honestly without that line drawing or some sort of definitive harrach marking could be any of the finer makers of the period. harrach, meyers neffen/kralik, loetz/annin. Josephinenhuette would be the most likely.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I dug out my book on Moser and found some information on base numbering, just no photos of different marks. I have a couple of other books on Bohemian glass, it will take me a day or so to find them. In the meantime I'll have a poke around to see if I can find examples of the above glass companies and see if any of them used marks like the example you posted.
    DSCF9101.jpg

i need help likes this.
  15. scoutshouse

Thanks for your help, @cxgirl - I think I got all hung up on the whole "made for Persian Islamic market" slant that is so clearly tied to Moser at the turn of the 20th century. So many use that description, it got stuck in my brain pan :)

So I looked around to see if I couldn't find examples of that - what's a single foil? Just a foil? - motif, and found these examples and a nice article about Venetian Gothic architecture on Wikipedia.

Similar themes were used in Gothic and Venetian Gothic architecture in the 1400s that blended Gothic with Byzantine and Oriental themes. It was later "revived" in the Mid 1800s and still later used by Moser in designs for the "made for Persian Islamic Market" commission.

Anything you want to clear up on that, I'm all ears!

[​IMG]
    VENETIAN GOTHIC
    Doge's Palace, Venice

Andrew Balet Own Work

[​IMG]
    VENETIAN GOTHIC
    Ca' d'Oro
    on the Grand Canal.
    Didier Descouens - Own work

[​IMG]
    VENETIAN GOTHIC REVIVAL
    Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti
    , Venice, (1878)
    Didier Descouens - Own work

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    cxgirl, i need help and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@scoutshouse wow, those building are beautiful! I've never been to Venice, maybe one day:)
    I found the other books but again they don't show photos of marks using numbers and letters like your example above.
    Here are some examples of Islamic inspired designs, some confirmed, some attributed to Moser. The last example is Josephinenhutte glass. I'm not sure if a confirmed id is possible, lots of companies did this design.
    DSCF9569.jpg DSCF9573.jpg DSCF9574.jpg DSCF9575.jpg DSCF9576.jpg DSCF9567.jpg DSCF9578.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted