any chance of this being ming?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mariyan perera, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Mariyan perera

Mariyan perera Well-Known Member

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice plate....gotta show the back though...

3. Mariyan perera

Mariyan perera Well-Known Member

any way is there any method to identify the dynasty through the front of the plate. may be whats depicted on it. or the animals or any significant point that will lead to it.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

likely...but you'll need an expert on Ming plates to do that..

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Don't know why it would have to be Ming. I personally love Yuan, have some very nice Song pieces and am not at all adverse to Qing. Wares from all these periods can be just as valuable as Ming, but you were asking if this could be Ming. No one has any idea until they see the back, the detail of the glaze etc. Preferably without the dirt of course, it hides the glaze, making it very difficult to be judged at all.
    Is there a reason why the plate is dirty? Is someone trying to make it look old?

Some pointers on Ming blue and white.
    Ming painting has 'bones': firm lines, firm outlines, that are filled in with diluted blue, firm shapes.
    Although Ming blue has the fame of being the most beautiful, Qing blue is often much more stunning. Qing has intentional blue shading, is often more subtly painted.
    Themes and designs of all previous periods are used in subsequent periods, they still are.

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

To me it looks Japanese and transfer printed, early 20th c...

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In that case I'm out, don't know much about Japanese.
    But how can you tell, through all that dirt? I don't even know what shade of white and what shade of blue I'm looking at. Possibly the geometric designs in the rocky area around the roundel.

8. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

It is the overall style of the decoration that makes me think Japanese. There are some hints that it is transfer printed, but to be totally sure we need better photos. And the back, as already mentioned...

9. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Need to see the back.
    It looks like transfer printed. However, it could also be possibly detailed hand painted.

upload_2017-4-28_9-31-52.png

upload_2017-4-28_9-32-35.png

Draft saved Draft deleted