Any clues to what this would be used for

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kazroofer, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Kazroofer

Kazroofer New Member

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Without being able to see the rest of it, I suspect a bowl and pitcher were on top for washing up. A "convenience" would have been kept underneath, for use at night or whenever, to be dumped down the outhouse the next morning.

3. Kazroofer

Kazroofer New Member

My wife found this with a free sign on it, am puzzled as to why someone would have gotten rid of it,

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Kazroofer

Kazroofer New Member

image.jpg image.jpg Yes sorry I am new and having trouble uploading pictures

scoutshouse, Sandra and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people do silly things like throwing quality pieces out, but hey some people even buy Ikea and Apple products ...guess I'll never figure out why people make foolish decisions like that.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It'd make a cracking little drinks cabinet. Aren't people odd!

7. Kazroofer

Kazroofer New Member

Indeed, a friend seemed to think thats exactly what it is a mini bar!!

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Kazroofer

Kazroofer New Member

There are no holes so therefore there could not have been a top on it.

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. Kazroofer

Kazroofer New Member

Definitely not a reproduction, you can see the imperfections in the carvings and even the doors, the door has hinges that are not like I’ve seen before, would anyone have an idea to it’s age?

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a circa 1960s 'Mediterranean' hexagon-shape end table/cabinet, likely had a marble top that wasn't attached - nice one, I like it...

~Cheryl

11. Kazroofer

Kazroofer New Member

Excellent,thank you

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Missing marble. A perfectly good (and handy) piece of furniture.

Debora

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My FIRST impression of the FIRST image was it must be a Baptismal Font.....and it maybe still could be, a possibility.....if a large ceramic or steel bowl were placed in the top.......with towel/linen storage, etc. underneath.......guess I'll stick with that!! It's a lovely, well made, sturdy looking piece, although no size given!!! THAT, I would find a use for!!!!!!!

scoutshouse and Fid like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it once had a top on it. My parents brought back a similar table from Guatemala in the 1960s and the top was fashioned with a wood insert to fit.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. antidiem

Welcome to the forum, @Kazroofer :cat:
    Pretty sure it was made in Guatemala for tourist trade.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Kazroofer.
    I agree, either Guatemala or Mexico, and not very old. Much too good to be thrown out though, good thing your wife took it home.:)

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Kazroofer, I'm STILL curious as all getout!!!! Could you give us some dimensions on this lovely piece??? Height, width, etc.??? Thank you SO MUCH!!!

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd call that a score, whatever the age. Add a new top of some sort and off she goes. It may have been stone, and might even have been leather or a leather-look. The latter was popular too.

19. antidiem

I have OFTEN "found" GIVEAWAY stuff sitting at the curb, slightly segregated from the garbage cans and trash. I know the owner is hoping someone will see that thing and make use of it. :cat:

SBSVC likes this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Anti, when we lived in the DC area, the thing to do was to put something outside with a FOR SALE and a PRICE sign on it. It would ALWAYS be "stolen" overnight, and we'd be rid of it! (It worked for everything from etched glass shower doors to old wing chairs we had replaced!)

Draft saved Draft deleted