Featured Any furniture salesmen out there? What are these photos? Ordering aids for store buyer?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I have three different sets of these photos from the Heywood Wakefield Co. in Gardner, MA on cardboard, held together with a heavy screw/rivet. They date to the early 1960s. Each includes the model number(s) of the piece(s) shown, a description, and the dimensions. I'm pretty sure that these are not for customers, because I have quite a few catalogs from the same company. Were they possibly given to store buyers?

smallDSCN0245.JPG

smallDSCN0263.JPG

To compare, this is one of their catalogs from the same period:

smallDSCN0200.JPG

smallDSCN0203.JPG

2. Bookahtoo

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Just curious, are they actual photographs or halftone prints (you would see a pattern with a loupe)?

4. Bookahtoo

They are prints - sorry about that.

I have to go to the hospital for the rest of the day - my father's in the ER. See you later tonight.

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I would think a brick & mortar sales-person could whip this out for the customer to browse thru. Pick your piece and which wood you might want to order it in.

judy likes this.
  6. wiscbirddog

Best wishes to your father!

judy likes this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Oh, good luck.

judy likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Best of luck and Wishes with your father, Booka!!!!

judy likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Bookahtoo , healing wishes for your father.

I think @wiscbirddog is right about a use for these in a store.

judy likes this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Book, sending good thoughts for your father Book.

judy likes this.
  11. Bookahtoo

Thanks everybody. He's fine, thank God. He fell this morning at assisted living and hurt his hip. They sent him to the ER to see if it was broken. By the time I got there, they had determined it was just badly bruised, so within 1/2 hour he was discharged and DH and I brought him back to his assisted living place where he treated us to dinner at their fancy restaurant.

Of course, he was at the hospital emergency room for over 4 hours before they even evaluated him, and he was seen in the hallway.

12. Bookahtoo

I guess I don't understand why a salesman would have both catalogs of the different furniture lines and these bound together pictures of the same furniture.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe one was to be given away while the other was to be held on to...???

judy likes this.
  14. Figtree3

I notice the catalog has colorful pictures with no descriptions (or maybe the descriptions are on other pages?) and the other pics are black and white and include measurements of each piece. The way they are attached to each other reminds me of things like carpet samples or other samples that are intended to be used when ordering items. Don"t know where I'm going with that except maybe the colorful ones are like a sales brochure and the other are more technical.

judy and komokwa like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

The catalogs also have all the specs included:

DSCN0192.jpg

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would think sales aids for a traveling salesman or to use at furniture market. Might have used different formats at different times. Might have also been preliminary to gauge interest in a new line.

judy likes this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Thank you Brad. At a furniture market makes sense - why print up thousands of catalogs if everyone hates it, right?

Speaking of which, this is in one of the catalogs:

DSCN0212.jpg

I wonder how many they really sold? :jawdrop:

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the leg lamp from A Christmas Story.:D

19. wiscbirddog

Book, thanks for posting the last picture. . .the kneehole desk, in maple, was my B-day present in 1961! :)

judy likes this.
  20. Figtree3

"Lili Marlene" refers to a song that was written in the late 1930s, became popular during World War II, and was also kept in the public eye by Marlene Dietrich and others who sang it and recorded it up through the 1970s. I had heard of it but didn't know the details until reading this Wikipedia article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Marleen

Draft saved Draft deleted