Featured Any guesses on what this pretty case was used for? Late 19th c.?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SarahAR, Sep 11, 2018.

1. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

Looking over pics of an estate sale I am going to later this week and this one has me stumped. It may be a common item but searches have come up empty. I'm not exactly sure what to search for. Jewelry? Miniature tea set? #323+-+53.jpg #323+-+54.jpg

2. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree...a [vertical] dressing table set like this:

[​IMG]

You can see what looks like the brush holder in your second photo in the lid section. The holder in the back would be for mirror.

I say this like I know what I'm talking about, but I just punched in a few keywords and saw something similar, lol. Could be completely wrong.

Christmasjoy, komokwa, Jivvy and 7 others like this.
  4. SarahAR

SarahAR Member

I think you are both probably right! When I see portraits on items like these, I wonder if they are of the owner or just a random model?

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Never the owner- an image used for decoration, possibly from a painting, and almost certainly reflected on the backs of the original contents.

Draft saved Draft deleted