ANY GUITAR FANS? TRICKED OUT GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND - FAMOUS ROCKER OR GARAGE BAND GUITAR?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 21, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at my local thrift store - It doesn't have a name.
    It looks like someone made it personal - the spring on the wah wah lever looks bigger than any I've seen before + it has 3 pick ups.
    Negative is it was made in Korea (but better than China, right?)
    And that's all I know about guitars which is why I'm here hoping someone can tell me if I found a rocker's custom made guitar or a garage band's guitar?
    Thank you

MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 1AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 2AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 2AAAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 3AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 9A_AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 5AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 6AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 6CAAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 7AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR THRIFT STORE FIND 8AAZZ.JPG

charlie cheswick likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

rancid is the only name i even recognize...
    Rancid is an American punk rock band formed in Berkeley, California in 1991. Founded by former members of the band Operation Ivy, Rancid is often credited as being among the wave of bands which revived mainstream interest in punk rock in the United States during the mid-1990s....

The Hippos were an American rock band formed in 1995 in Los Angeles, California, and later disbanded in 2002

Dropkick Murphys are an American Celtic punk band formed in Quincy, Massachusetts, in 1996.

mid to late 90's ...punk rocker guitar.....i doubt it ever saw a band....
    but now ...it's a good candidate for a Band Saw !!! :inpain::inpain::inpain:

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Tool was an LA, USA "metal" (heavy . . . then alternative) band that started in the 90s. Some call them "progressive metal" since their music was/is clearly influenced by progressive rock.

Suicidal tendencies was an American West Coast (Cali) 80s "thrash" band.

Kids Inc. (Incorporated) was a show and band around the mid 80s to mid 90s.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. journeymagazine

Who made the guitar?

5. komokwa

Who can tell......the guy painted or plastered aver any name that was there !!!!
    ;):cool::cool::cool:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Someone in Korea.

I used to put stickers on my guitar case, never on my guitar. Mine was acoustic though, so no stickers allowed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    kyratango, all_fakes, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  7. journeymagazine

I googled Guitar Serial number VN535693 - and found Fender Squires used a VN serial number - and some have 3 pick ups, but I think the wah wah bar with that spring, the piece the strings are connected to at the bottom of the guitar & the head may have been changed with custom / personal choice pieces - does that hurt or help?
    PS - I think I'm going to call it Punk Rocker's Guitar when I list it!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

its a zero fret, so would think vintage

i thought squier at first as well for the body, but bridge and tremolo is not fender

the neck is not fender either with a zero fret

its cool though i defo would have bought it, i reckon better than a squier

personally i would de sticker it, but keep the hitler headstock :)

9. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

only one way to see how well it plays though

giphy.gif

kyratango, judy, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

So I think I just threw out an old Rancid tee shirt that a high school boyfriend of DD2 left here (back 15 years ago or so that I found in a closet). Didn't know who the band was so maybe I should have checked to see if it was a collectors item:p

judy, Fid, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  11. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

By the looks of it, it's a Frankenstein of parts.

Serial number: VN535693

Production year: 1995 (serial: 35693)

Made in Korea by Saehan/Sunghan

Figtree3, komokwa, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  12. Redbaron9011

Redbaron9011 You can call me Marco

The "Wah Wah bar" is called a horseshoe tremelo.
    The body is definitely an Fender Squier.

Now the headstock is where it gets interesting, as in it could be a self made or they used the neck and headstock of I guess a Koll imitation (probably Asian) Since I am not aware of Koll types with the mother of pearl like inlay in the neck. Also the string tree is very weird and i've never seen it that way.

Since Japan made a lot of replica's through the years, it's hard to tell if they tried to copy a model without copyright infringement or that it is just another brand that's very common.

Good luck with your search. grtz Marco

13. Redbaron9011

Redbaron9011 You can call me Marco

Oh and Koll used this kind of tremelo's, so could be a Frankenstein's monster of 2 or who knows more guitars!

14. komokwa

IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....................... kinda ...:eek:

15. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

All I have is a nice 1964 Les Paul ebony body. Served me well in my playing days in the late 60's and early 70's. Got it at a pawn shop in downtown Kansas City

all_fakes, aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I have a '77 Standard. Plays okay, but the frets are low and I'm not crazy about that. Weighs a ton, too.

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My acoustic one is a Yamah. The last letter went walkabout.:D

18. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Definitely a frankestrat - definitely from some local punk/garage band dude. I wouldn't de-sticker it - someone will love it just like it is.

Fid and komokwa like this.
  19. journeymagazine

I like the stickers too!

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Me three. The Dropkick Murphys are a local band, more or less. Some rocker will want it just as it sits.

I can think of at least two friends who'd have snagged that. (sigh)

Draft saved Draft deleted