Featured any help identifying mirror?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Los_Control, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Los_Control

Los_Control New Member

I found this mirror for sale and liked it, bought it.
    Not sure if is possible to guess at a date on such a object.
    Reminds me of something a sailing ship captain would have in his quarters, but is not that old.

I am pretty sure it is hand made and carved, no identifying marks on it that I saw.
    The glass is modern and also has masonite to hold the glass in place, I believe these are later repairs.
    I wonder if the hardware can help date it?
    The wood is real light, almost like pine but no knots.
    Everything seems to be rough sawn, still see the saw marks on edges, and different thickness as it was carved on the face.
    The stain is real dark, more obvious on the back while the front is pretty well worn off, much lighter.
    Combination of patina, dirt, stain.
    I wonder what the stain is made of. I am a retired finish carpenter, I have stained a lot of wood, this stain seems like maybe it was made with berries and juice :D
    I want to clean it, unsure how to proceed, maybe wipe it down with windex or something mild?

I want to add, the gentleman I bought it from off of craigs list, also had many interesting artifacts from African villages. Possible the thing was carved last year and just looks old?
    I never thought to ask when I purchased it, now have no contact.
    IMG_20181208_153020381.jpg IMG_20181208_153034745.jpg IMG_20181208_153108241.jpg IMG_20181210_154709006.jpg IMG_20181210_154655457.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Los_Control.
    It looks like it. My guess is made in Rajasthan, NW India, maybe the year before last.;) Great decorators piece though.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Los_Control! :)

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I agree India,I also agree very decorative!

5. Los_Control

Los_Control New Member

Thank you all, I bought it because I liked it, But was thrown off by it.
    Modern from India makes perfect sense.
    I really appreciate. Thank you for the warm welcome.

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Los!

Welcome to Antiquers!

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Got an air nozzle for your compressor? As long as you've got a means to trap the moisture in your air line, you can take that outdoors and blow all of the accumulated dust out of the recesses.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    islamic African Sahara zone. dried out and therefore light.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The stylized horse supports are typical of Rajasthan, and the arched mirror surrounds are Mughal style. This one is 'distressed' to suit Western fashion. (Why do people still like distressed?)
    The Rajasthani have a passion for these elaborately framed mirrors. They call them jharokha, after the Mughal style balcony windows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

looking at the design & the harness used to secure the mirror, Its from India.

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted